Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

At 50, "The Waltons" Still Stirs Fans' Love, Nostalgia

At a time when the networks generally avoided “dangerous” content, “The Waltons” was notable for taking on difficult topics — religion, in particular — said Robert Thompson, director of Syracuse University’s Bleier Center for Television and Popular Culture.

“I think it was an important show, and I think it actually doesn’t get the attention that it deserves,” Thompson said. 

“‘The Waltons’ really did get down and roll around in some very, very serious spiritual themes,” he added. “For example, an atheist comes to town, and we get this whole discussion between atheism and spirituality.”

“The Waltons” ran for nine seasons and 221 episodes, ranking as high as No. 2 in the Nielsen ratings. A half-century later it still stirs nostalgia among loyal fans who can’t resist taking in cable TV reruns, binging episodes via streaming apps and keeping up with former stars through social media.

Based on the life of its creator, the late Earl Hamner Jr., the show followed a large extended family living in a white, two-story farmhouse and running a sawmill in the fictional Blue Ridge foothills town of Walton’s Mountain. The parents, grandparents and seven children — John Jr., Jason, Mary Ellen, Erin, Ben, Jim-Bob and Elizabeth — were depicted wearing overalls and dresses, praying at meals and overcoming adversity through hard work and grace.

“The Waltons” focused on John Jr., known as John-Boy, played by Richard Thomas and modeled on Hamner. The oldest sibling, he aspired to be a writer and experience the world beyond his humble upbringing.

Now 71 and starring as lawyer Atticus Finch in a touring production of “To Kill a Mockingbird,” Thomas said he still hears fans call “Good night, John-Boy!” after each performance. The familiar catchphrase pays homage to the Emmy-winning role that made him famous.

“It’s kind of astonishing that we’re still talking about a show 50 years later,” said Thomas...

Read the rest here.

I have both of the books, Spencer’s Mountain and The Homecoming, that The Waltons are based on. I also have the series on DVD, except the holiday specials which were released on a DVD at one point. So it’s safe to say I’m a fan, and I still keep up with the remaining cast on social media.

One time, when eBay was brand new, some prop company had a coffee pot for auction that was supposed to be from the series. I was skeptical, so I passed.

Ill be damned if a week or so later that same coffee pot, with the same chip on the enamel at the base and a. Man, I have kicked myself over that for years.

While the series made the Depression seem like it was perhaps easier than real life, I’d like to believe a place like Waltons Mountain once existed, even if there a little chance of that now.

• Like 1

Oh my God … all through my stint in the Navy , this was THE tv show in the day rooms on ship and Bases ! When The Waltons came on for that one hour we were transported back home each in his mind could smell the apple pies and other foods at that supper table . Just for a bit of time we could actually smell those hot Summer days on dirt roads and cold Winter nights . Then at the end of every episode the “ good nights “ … yeah that was rough on all us country boys and city boys alike . We all may have not lived the “Walton Life “ but like i said , for that one hour we were all … Waltons ! 

• Like 3