TTL News

"Themed" Shopping Districts A Possibility?

In downtown Kokomo, Indiana is a block affectionately known locally and beyond that's known as "Geek Street".

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 9.44.47 AM.png

Photo courtesy "Geek Street" Facebook page 

It's several businesses dedicated to pop and "nerd" culture that draws tourists from all over the country. The businesses you'll find on "Geek Street" are:

Kokomo Toys & Collectibles
Largest selection of vintage and modern action figures in the Midwest from the 1970’s, 1980’s, 1990’s to all the new releases!  Established in 2008, Kokomo Toys & Collectibles is a family owned and operated brick & mortar toy store specializing in buying, selling and trading.  

Comics Cubed
Comic book specialty shop that has a wide selection of new comics, back issues, all ages books, trades, artist editions, mini-figures, supplies, and more. This unique shop buys, sells, and trades comic books. New comics every Wednesday!  Also hosts Kokomo-Con every October at the Kokomo Event & Conference Center.

American Dream Hi-Fi
Great selection of vinyl records and live music on Saturday nights. They also have a selection of movies, books and buy records.

Kingdom Cards & Games
They buy, sell, and trade cards and board games.  Special themed events are held throughout the year, including Star Wars, Magic: The Gathering, and Pokemon.

Do you think "themed shopping districts" like that could work here in Elmira or in any of our other small towns throughout the Twin Tiers? What do you think would work best? What would draw you there on a regular basis?

• Like 1

I think this is a really awesome idea. Imagine being able to spend a whole day, and your dollars, in a shopping district that caters to something so unique. 

I can envision maybe Lake St. being an area for local artists to show and sell their wares, followed by being able to grab some lunch and eat it on the Lake Street pedestrian bridge. Then stroll up Water St. and Main St. to do some shopping and maybe catch some live music in Wisner Park. 

• Like 1

Its a great idea and I have been to a few.  Cooperstown for one.  lol.  Destination locations.

21 hours ago, KarenK said:

Its a great idea and I have been to a few. Cooperstown for one. 

Sure and what’s the first thing one thinks of when they think of Cooperstown? Baseball.

Think of the possibilities in an area like downtown Elmira. Each street or block could be something a little different yet somehow meshing together.

As a life-long Peanuts fan, I loved  THIS TRIBUTE that Minneapolis/St Paul made to their native son...

image.png.5eee911f5eb421267fc85e0d991b4325.png

Building on the same concept for downtown revitalization, I've seen a few other communities introduce (some temporary and some permanent) local art projects themed to their own communities. Dolan Alabama has its own Peanuts-on-Parade and several Florida cities featured Gators around town.  

I've often wondered if something similar could work here, but not sure if we'd have a character, image or 'brand' that could translate as clearly into artwork.

Maybe Carousel horses? 

image.png.0070ddfba23873b4077a69808a919ed8.png

All of Twain's work is public domain, but I don't know if his characters are (which are mostly various portrayals typical 19th century children) are distinctive enough to today's average passerby. Perhaps with plaques identifying them as Tom, Huck or Becky? 

45 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

As a life-long Peanuts fan, I loved  THIS TRIBUTE that Minneapolis/St Paul made to their native son...

image.png.5eee911f5eb421267fc85e0d991b4325.png

Building on the same concept for downtown revitalization, I've seen a few other communities introduce (some temporary and some permanent) local art projects themed to their own communities. Dolan Alabama has its own Peanuts-on-Parade and several Florida cities featured Gators around town.  

I've often wondered if something similar could work here, but not sure if we'd have a character, image or 'brand' that could translate as clearly into artwork.

Maybe Carousel horses? 

All of Twain's work is public domain, but I don't know if his characters are (which are mostly various portrayals typical 19th century children) are distinctive enough to today's average passerby. Perhaps with plaques identifying them as Tom, Huck or Becky? 

YES!!!

That is an AMAZING idea!

On 2/13/2021 at 4:22 PM, MsKreed said:

No more Mark Twain. I can’t deal. 

He was here for a drink, a pet of a cat and a quick bed shake and then he was gone. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jack said:

No more Mark Twain. I can’t deal. 

I can't disagree with you, Twain probably has reached the saturation level for our area!

But Carousel horses could be fun!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jack said:

He was here for a drink, a pet of a cat and a quick bed shake and then he was gone. 

I can’t tell you how much this made me laugh. I mean, he wrote a book or two here, but this is funny.

And I agree, the “Mark Twain Country” thing got played out by the late 80’s.

I sat in on an event at Clemens center a few years ago where they were coming up with ideas to revitalize Downtown and they had a compny that was going to take the ideas and make a proposal to city council.  I don't remember the specifics,  I am sure someone else knows what I am talking about and can fill in the specifics.  

Anyway all everyone wanted to include was the historic district and Mark Twain. They looked at me like a leper when I told them nobody was visiting Elmira for either of those reasons. They didn't want to hear anything about making the river more accessible in Downtown or anything actually usefull..

While I am glad to see they are finally doing something with the Lake St. Bridge it makes no sense to me. Usually you would want a walking bridge to connect to areas of commerce.  It just seems like a bridge to no where when going south. 

• Like 3

There are a number of cities that build "pedestrian friendly" spaces that boost business traffic (Ithaca Commons, Corning Gaffer District, etc). 

HOWEVER.....I think that sort of thing has to be part of a bigger revitalization strategy. It can't just be "pedestrian friendly" if it's just providing more places for existing vagrants to loiter. 

The idea should be to draw people (in cars) into the area and be inviting enough that they will park those cars and wander and linger. That means having available parking that is convenient, safe and affordable....so people will leave those vehicles unattended for while they dally around town and explore what it has to offer.  This is something Corning could do better at, but is still far superior to Elmira.

The mall has plenty of parking, but has seriously declined on what it offers to encourage that lingering traffic.

Besides Arts in the Park and Farmer's markets, Elmira could try offering things like  pageants, craft shows, boat shows and putt-putt that are spaced out to motivate people to keep wandering.....without the counter-productive money-grab that discourages vendors to participate.

3 hours ago, MsKreed said:

It can't just be "pedestrian friendly" if it's just providing more places for existing vagrants to loiter. 

And that’s what I fear the Lake Street bridge is going to end up being.

When it comes to events, I I still say the best thing the powers that be could do would be to turn to the actual business owners and stakeholders still left in downtown Elmira and say, “What do you guys want to do?” And then GTFO of their way and let them. 

• Like 2

I contacted Elmira Downtown Development just to ask what was needed to host an even downtown and never got a reply. I know some people that were looking to host a Hot Pepper/Chili fest somewhere in the area. Hard to have things downtown when they don't reply to inquiries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I contacted Elmira Downtown Development just to ask what was needed to host an even downtown and never got a reply. I know some people that were looking to host a Hot Pepper/Chili fest somewhere in the area. Hard to have things downtown when they don't reply to inquiries. 

See that’s the thing that pisses me off the most. These self-appointed gatekeepers…

They should have been on the phone and kissing your feet. Instead events like that get held in other towns or cities, where people have some vision, and they’re a success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Oh, I think they will take your idea and make it their own.  Has happened to me twice now.

Edited by KarenK
  • Like 1

Reach out to Grasso and ask where he can point you since Downtown Development won't respond.....he seems motivated to call BS when he sees it. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Reach out to Grasso and ask where he can point you since Downtown Development won't respond.....he seems motivated to call BS when he sees it. 

I would have to call him, my council person is about as useful as our Assemblyman.  

11 hours ago, KarenK said:

Oh, I think they will take your idea and make it their own.  Has happened to me twice now.

Yeah that’s pretty common around here.