TTL News

Governor Cuomo Announces Proposal To Prevent Those With Active Warrants From Purchasing Firearms

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced his proposal to prevent individuals with active warrants for a felony or serious misdemeanor offense from purchasing guns as part of the 2021 State of the State agenda. Under the Governor's proposal, New York State will close a federal loophole that was created when the Trump Department of Justice reinterpreted an existing firearms law to mean only individuals who have fled from one state to another for the purpose of evading prosecution while subject to an active or imminent arrest warrant would be prevented from purchasing a firearm, while those subject to an arrest warrant who remain in state are free to buy guns. With this action, someone who is subject to an outstanding warrant for a felony or serious misdemeanor offense, but who has not crossed state lines to evade arrest, would once again be flagged in the National Instant Background Check System and be prevented from purchasing a gun. 

"As COVID-19 continues to exacerbate the gun violence epidemic in America, the state of New York is continuing to build on the strongest gun safety laws in the nation and putting more safeguards in place to keep firearms out of the hands of dangerous individuals," Governor Cuomo said. "We will do everything in our power to protect our communities and combat this violence and destruction in all of its forms."

On 1/16/2021 at 9:50 AM, TwinTiersLiving said:

"As COVID-19 continues to exacerbate the gun violence epidemic in America, the state of New York is continuing to build on the strongest gun safety laws in the nation and putting more safeguards in place to keep firearms out of the hands of dangerous individuals," Governor Cuomo said. "We will do everything in our power to protect our communities and combat this violence and destruction in all of its forms."

How has covid 19 exacerbated gun violence in America?  Did I miss something?  

I am still waiting for all these laws to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals.  

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 9:27 AM, KarenK said:

How has covid 19 exacerbated gun violence in America?  

I think one could argue it's slowed gun violence. Especially in schools. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris said:

I think one could argue it's slowed gun violence. Especially in schools. 

Totally agree.  I honestly think he is referring to the "peaceful protests"

I think it’s more of “Never let a good crisis go to waste”.

• Like 2

Sort of makes a sane person wonder if it weren't for the "no bail, no jail" laws,...if there might be

A) fewer warrants for failure to appear...because if they're detained they can't scoff-law their court appearances

B) fewer purchases of firearms (or, drugs, or alcohol....or anything not sold in the commissary) because they can't shop at the gun show if they're detained