Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

City To Begin Cleaning Elmira Streets

Beginning yesterday, March 24, the City of Elmira began cleaning and sweeping all city streets with "box brooms" first then Ssweepers after.  Officials say box brooms will get the bulk of the thicker curb line debris, then crews will combine 7 sweepers from surrounding municipalities through shared service agreements to sweep every street in the City of Elmira.

This is expected to take approximately 6-8 weeks. 

In order to be efficient and thorough, the city asks residents please park vehicles off the street if able until crews have been down their street.  Due to manpower, weather conditions, and unforeseen circumstances, city officials say they cannot guarantee time frames for each street. 

The city says sweeping is a very slow process but they will get to every street at least once to start the spring season off and then be out as much as time allows thereafter.  With the warmer weather also starts the city's hot asphalt patching and road program paving in an effort to maintain our City streets.

It's gonna take more than the city DPW to clean that city up. 

I drive around the city quite a bit, and honest to God, the amount of garbage that is spread throughout peoples' yards is appalling. Fifteen monutes with a rake and a garbage bag would go a long way for some properties. I can only imagine what the insides of the houses look like. 

Hey, be nice. The front walk of my house is horrible. The first warm day and it will be cleaned up. Having a double lot means twice the garbage that gets thrown out car windows or dropped by people walking by.

9 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Hey, be nice. The front walk of my house is horrible. The first warm day and it will be cleaned up. Having a double lot means twice the garbage that gets thrown out car windows or dropped by people walking by.

LOL that's not what I meant. What I'm talking about is the garbage that is strewn from torn garbage bags all year round. 

And to be honest, it's not exclusive to the city. Hell, drive down our road. Between the stuff people throw out their windows and what blows off of the garbage haulers' trucks, it's pretty bad. 

• Haha 1

😆 , really not anything to laugh at  but we in our Town have become desensitized to crap lying around and i’m not talking about just on garbage day ! One has but to look at the property neighboring the Town Hall , I mean Geezus … right next to the Town Hall you know … the place where so called Code ( I don’t see nuttin ) Enforcement has an office ! Or even where the Town ( “ oh , I haven’t been passed there ) Supervisor has to go at some point once a month ! 
I was told one time that Millport was the place where if Chemung County needed an Enema that would be the the place to give it … but I am thinking that particular distinction  has to be awarded to Baldwin !! 
A wise Man once said “ you may argue with my words but your own eyes , opened , shall not lie “ ! 

• Like 1