Sign in to follow this  
Chris

"Shogun" Trailer

With Hulu being available as part of our Disney+ package, we started watching this last night. And it's really good. 

There's subtitles, which I don't care for, but then again hearing the dialogue in Japanese kinda adds to the experience so I can live with it. It's a little bit confusing at first so you have to pay attention until you can get all the characters straight. 

Definitely looking forwatd to more though!

We DVR it for a few episodes and binge after a few episodes. Having read the book years ago then having seen the original series I thought it wouldn’t be interesting but nope … its great ! 

The book is now on my "to read" list. 

• Like 1

We’re on episode 5 and man this is good.

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

We’re on episode 5 and man this is good.

We just finished the first season and can’t wait for season 2.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 8:59 PM, Ann said:

We just finished the first season and can’t wait for season 2.

Yeah... about that:

Shōgun is also based on James Clavell’s 1975 novel of the same name, which has a definitive ending that the FX series is currently racing toward. The author wrote many more novels after Shōgun as part of his “Asian Saga,” but none of the stories return to the same characters from Shōgun. Suffice to say, we likely won’t see any more episodes after its series finale. 

“We took the story to the end of the book and put a period at the end of that sentence,” co-creator Justin Marks, who partnered with wife Rachel Kondo on the project, told The Hollywood Reporter in March. “We love how the book ends; it was one of the reasons why we both knew we wanted to do it—and we ended in exactly that place. And I’ve been party to this in the past with shows like this, where you build a whole factory, and it only pumps out ten cars and closes up shop. It’s a bummer."

Source

There's two more episodes, and that's it. 

We read the book and watched the original series with Richard Chamberlain so just two more episodes is ok.  They are doing an excellent job this time around.

I'd say so, and I will definitely be reading the book as well. 

I'm okay with a "one and done" show. Too often they drag out the storyline with sequels, prequels and off shoots. Sometimes it's okay to have a good, one course meal and end it with a satisfied burp, not feel bloated ( helluva analogy there, Chris. )

We just watched the last two episodes. I have to confess, I was a little confused by the ending, as it didn’t align with how the last episode began.

This interview explains it, and offered an “ah ha” moment when I read it.

Absolutely amazing series!

loved the series, was bit confused by the old man scenes, but now having read the interview, i do not think they could have ended it any better