Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

US Airman Dies After Setting Himself On Fire In Protest

CNN — An active-duty member of the US Air Force who set himself on fire outside the Israeli Embassy in Washington, DC, on Sunday, has died, authorities said.

Aaron Bushnell, 25, of San Antonio, Texas, said in a video of the incident obtained by CNN that he would “no longer be complicit in genocide” and that his suffering was minimal compared to that of Palestinians as the humanitarian crisis persists in Gaza.

He then sets the recording device on the ground before pouring an unknown liquid over himself and igniting it while yelling “Free Palestine” repeatedly. He eventually collapses as police officers rush to douse the flames with fire extinguishers.

He was subsequently transported by DC Fire and emergency services to a local hospital where he died, the Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement. Local police are working with the US Secret Service and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to investigate the incident, which took place around 1 p.m. in northwest Washington.

Bushnell’s identity was confirmed by MPD, and Rose Riley, a spokesperson for the US Air Force, said he was an active-duty airman.

Source

I caught this on Twitter today, which included the full video. Yikes.

I don’t understand how he thought this would help in any way.  It will be forgotten a month from now but his family will remember for the test of their lives.  So sad.

11 hours ago, Jack said:

Mental illness is a bitch. 

I agree, @Jack. Mentally stable people don't do stuff like this. 

The problem I have is, now people are holding him up as some kind of hero. So how long until someone else decides to attempt a "Johnny Storm" impression?

• Like 1

This is reminiscent of the Buddhist Monk setting himself afire in a protest in Viet Nam all those years ago . 

13 hours ago, Chris said:

Mentally stable people don't do stuff like this. 

true, however, maybe there are people out there that are willing to hold true to their convictions....ever have the thought or dream where you stand on the mountain top, looking down on ALL the stupid bullshit in the world, yell STOPPP!!! at the top of your lungs only to be ignored? Maybe in his mind this was his way of not being ignored and getting folks to listen( not holding my breath though).

Anymore i can really see why some people feel driven to violence( think going postal); it seems the only way to shake a certain group of society out of their focus on self, even if only for a fleeting moment