Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Gina Carano Sues Disney Over Mandalorian Firing In Lawsuit Funded By Elon Musk

In a statement, X’s head of business operations Joe Benarroch said, “As a sign of X Corp’s commitment to free speech, we’re proud to provide financial support for Gina Carano’s lawsuit, empowering her to seek vindication of her free speech rights on X and the ability to work without bullying, harassment, or discrimination.”

Lucasfilm in 2021 announced that Carano would not be returning to the hit series after sharing a post in which she said, “most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Naxi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?”

It was the latest in a long string of posts in which the former MMA fighter drew the ire of social media users for positions seen as right-wing on hot-button issues. Carano, who was dropped by UTA following the controversy, previously mocked government mandates to wear masks during the COVID-19 pandemic and falsely suggested that voter fraud occurred during the 2020 presidential election.

In a statement clarifying the post on X, Carano on Tuesday said, “My words were consistently twisted to demonize & dehumanize me as an alt right wing extremist.”

Read more here.

I admit I never followed Gina’s “controversial” behavior. I think she was amazing in the Mandalorian and didn't hear about the stuff that Disney considered "abhorrent and unacceptable" until after she was canned.

I tend to get frustrated trying to sort out the full and accurate context of “he said/she said” quotes and snippets. Honestly.....from the examples I’ve seen cited, I tend to agree with THIS article that Forbes ran a while after she was fired.

The latest example is Disney’s firing of Gina Carano from The Mandalorian in February.  She is a conservative who is not shy about expressing her views, the latest being a comment that compared conservatives being silenced and canceled today to Jews being targeted during the Holocaust.

An exaggerated comparison? Yes. But enough to fire her? Doubtful. She’s more guilty of a bad comparison. Gina should have likened today’s conservative cancel culture to the 1950s Congressional hearings held to expose entertainment people who were members or sympathizers of the Communist Party. Ten influential actors and screenwriters were eventually jailed and blacklisted by the major movie studios for denouncing the hearings and refusing to name those who had expressed Communist sympathies. That’s a better comparative. Ironically, when Disney fired Gina for her opinions it inadvertently proved her point.

We can disagree as to whether Disney was justified or not in firing Gina, but one thing is clear; Disney’s management of its social responsibility persona is woefully flawed.

To begin, the company’s approach is confusing. Many assert that Pedro Pascal, star of The Mandalorian, offered similar analogies that Carano did, though with a liberal bent, when he shared a now deleted Instagram post comparing Donald Trump voters to Nazis. Pascal kept his job. Carano did not. Disney’s inconsistent approach led outsiders to suspect that Disney leans left, something that CEO Bob Chapek denied at the recent shareholders meeting by stating, "I don't really see Disney as characterizing itself as left-leaning or right-leaning, yet instead standing for values — Values that are universal." But management cannot afford to treat employees differently for similar actions. It makes Chapek’s comments appear disingenuous. The company needs a universally consistent approach for its universal values.

I don’t remember exactly what she was posting, but I do recall some of it was at the very least intentionally provocative.

I found it hard to feel sorry for her, despite loving  her character. You got the dream gig, and have become part of Star Wars canon and then, after being repeatedly warned, continue to run your mouth? How stupid can someone get?

I knew we had discussed this when it happened. You can see the old thread HERE