Sign in to follow this  
Ann

Chick-Fil-A Forced To Remain Open On Sundays In NY?

While watching the news this morning there was a segment on NY planning to pass a Bill forcing Chick-fil-A to remain open for business on Sundays.  If it comes to pass I hope the Corporation fights back but then maybe they should just close businesses in this State and move to more business friendly States.  Hobby Lobby is also closed on Sundays, are they next?

No Hobby Lobby won't. I think what NYS is saying is that if you are operating on the Thru Way which the state owns, you should be open all 7 days. Which seems fair since some of those new plazas only have the one restaurant which is Chick-Fil-A. NOW GRANTED, I will say if New York State wanted this to be the case, they should of made that clear to Chick-Fil-A before they started operating there. Cause more then likely NYS wasted all this money on these new rest stops and then lose one of the main restaurants they had worked with from the beginning. It's really stupid also they made these rest stops so much smaller then what they were that most of them don't have a lot of seating which another stupid thing but i'm just venting a little. 

9 hours ago, LocalSportsGuy said:

No Hobby Lobby won't. I think what NYS is saying is that if you are operating on the Thru Way which the state owns, you should be open all 7 days. Which seems fair since some of those new plazas only have the one restaurant which is Chick-Fil-A. NOW GRANTED, I will say if New York State wanted this to be the case, they should of made that clear to Chick-Fil-A before they started operating there. Cause more then likely NYS wasted all this money on these new rest stops and then lose one of the main restaurants they had worked with from the beginning. It's really stupid also they made these rest stops so much smaller then what they were that most of them don't have a lot of seating which another stupid thing but i'm just venting a little. 

Wasting money is something NYS does well.  
I feel this is too much government interference in a business’s operation.  Capitalism works, the consumer can make or break a business.  I’m curious as to whether there were complaints to the State about being closed on Sundays.

Venting can be a good thing, thank you for your thoughts.

I have to start with the last comment about the horrible rest stops in NYS.....then I'll circle back to the topic, LOL.

Anyone who’s travelled across various states can attest that roads with fewer potholes and more available services are a real thing in most states....and that NYS is fairly unique in charging drivers exorbitant fees for the crappiest road conditions.

I don't think that anyone managing the Thruway Authority has taken any long road trips. Ever. Not around NYS and certainly not through other states where they could see real-life conditions and compare for themselves what ideas are better than others. They have no clue what Proletariat travelers want or need. Whenever they travel, it’s pretty obvious that they have the luxury of flying.

As for Chik-fil-A, a property owner has every right to set hours of operation in a lease agreement. It's common to set them to provide reliable expectations for customers and other tenants, etc.... I believe I’ve heard that some established tenants are leaving Arnot Mall due to (historically required) minimum operating terms being inconsistently lifted for some of the newer lease agreements. 

However, I may go look for full details on the story. If the any contract or Request for Proposal was in effect, and did not specify required hours of operation, then changing it later should be illegal.

28 minutes ago, Ann said:

Capitalism works, the consumer can make or break a business.  I’m curious as to whether there were complaints to the State about being closed on Sundays.

In situations like an airport layover or thruway service plaza where consumers are often "captives" that don't have options to take their business elsewhere, it really is in the consumers' interest to guarantee food to be available every day of the week. 

If there is going to be only one restaurant available to travelers without paying to leave the service plaza and detouring off the toll road....that should have been a conversation the State was having long before any plans and specific business names were considered. 

( I moved this to a more suitable forum. )

Some dipshit downstate democrat introduced a dead end bill and the story got traction thanks to Linsdey Graham's pearl clutching. I say it's a dead end bill because anyone knows all Chik Fil A has to do is go to court and tell the judge it goes against the company's Christian values which are protected under the 1st Amendment. BOOM, dead in the water.