TTL News

Tax Increase, Legislator Pay Raise In Chemung County 2024 Budget Proposal

5 hours ago, MsKreed said:

This week's Full Legislature meeting had a video issue, so the live stream and recorded video were not available. 

how convenient, with Brennan absent, and the original vote standing, it would have been a tie( cant have that) methinks the caucus prior to the meeting made sure that didnt happen

2 hours ago, Chris said:

I’d like to see Brett’s definition of “hard work.”

im thinking the act of breathing/thinking is a chore for some....they apparently believe they deserve compensation for existing

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Believe me, no one is more disappointed than me, one of his constituents.

im refraining from an email demonstrating your second-place status in that regard

11 hours ago, Adam said:

im refraining from an email demonstrating your second-place status in that regard

I didn't bother to write against the raises because his previous vote signaled to me he was also against it.  

21 hours ago, Adam said:

it would have been a tie( cant have that)

By my recollection, the Legislative Attorney (Bryan Maggs) has stated in the past that a “tie vote” would result in the resolution failing....as an affirmative majority would be required for it to pass.

So,, assuming Maggs is correct (he has been wildly wrong before).....a tie would have tanked the resolution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsKreed said:

By my recollection, the Legislative Attorney (Bryan Maggs) has stated in the past that a “tie vote” would result in the resolution failing....as an affirmative majority would be required for it to pass.

So,, assuming Maggs is correct (he has been wildly wrong before).....a tie would have tanked the resolution.

This is what we confirmed before the vote so we were feeling optimistic until Mr Donovan flipped. 

18 hours ago, Lawana Morse said:

This is what we confirmed before the vote so we were feeling optimistic until Mr Donovan flipped. 

His vote surprised me.  I would be interested in hearing what changed his mind.

On 12/14/2023 at 8:09 PM, Lawana Morse said:

Cannot state enough that it is some comfort that there are Legislators such as yourself that still recognize the distinction between Community interest and self interest!

its those types of shenanigans that are just purely sickening. He was adamant that he was against the pay increase in earlier communications so given the reputation he has had in the community for years,  im curious as to what kind of pressure was placed behind closed doors to get that flip. it seems awful convenient as well that audio/video were not working for this meeting as well.

10 hours ago, Adam said:

it seems awful convenient as well that audio/video were not working for this meeting as well.

While I have continually questioned the IDA seemingly playing "Tricky Dick Nixon" with missing tape, I honestly doubt there was any planned video failure for this. 

I had tuned in for the Budget meeting right before and the live stream worked for the that in the conference room.  It was turned back on in the Chamber, but showing the test screen.  My guess is whoever turned the streaming off/on during the scurry to change rooms between meetings didn't know to switch inputs.