Twin Tiers Living

Three Elmira City Council Races Head To Recount

As of Wednesday, three Elmira City Council races were still too close to call. It was unclear whether the unofficial results from last week’s general election in Chemung County remained the same. 

The Chemung County Board of Elections will head into a hand recount on Nov. 22.

According to Marcy Thompson, the county’s deputy Republican elections commissioner, they have not completed the write-in counts that are outstanding for four town races. But the agency determined that the Elmira City Council seats in districts 1, 2 and 4 will require a recount.

It is not immediately clear whether all absentee and affidavit ballots were counted.

Read more here.

Nick Grasso kept his Elmira City Council seat as did Corey Cook.

Most impressive of all in these tight races was Gary Brinn’s victory, winning by just five votes.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 9:21 AM, Pvt Snowball said:

Glad we turn the council almost blue

“Almost”. 

• Like 1

Honestly, does it really matter? Is there partisan bickering about paving Church Street?

Projecting partisan political ideology on to issues at the local is completely absurd. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Honestly, does it really matter? Is there partisan bickering about paving Church Street?

Projecting partisan political ideology on to issues at the local is completely absurd. 

It the Republicans and one independent who blocking progress just because you vote absten doesn't help pay attention to the city council meetings 

Republican, Independent or Democrat, national party means absolutely nothing on a micro scale. Injecting party ideology into local issues is plain moronic.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chris said:

Republican, Independent or Democrat, national party means absolutely nothing on a micro scale. Injecting party ideology into local issues is plain moronic.

It do matter because one party has no care for human rights they pass these bogus regulations hit roe vs Wade or hold secrets meetings Republicans are doing that not dems.

I'm lost here...

What power does the Elmira City Council have that overrides NYS abortion laws?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

I'm lost here...

What power does the Elmira City Council have that overrides NYS abortion laws?

My point is stop blaming the wrong people from getting things done 

1 minute ago, Pvt Snowball said:

It do matter because one party has no care for human rights they pass these bogus regulations hit roe vs Wade or hold secrets meetings Republicans are doing that not dems.

I am not a fan of either party, but you seem to have forgotten that - speaking of human rights - it was the Republican Party who stood for ending slavery. Democrats were quite happy with continuing it; they owned plantations, they did not think of black people as humans. Heck, they used veterinarians to treat their slaves

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, command_prompt said:

I am not a fan of either party, but you seem to have forgotten that - speaking of human rights - it was the Republican Party who stood for ending slavery. Democrats were quite happy with continuing it; they owned plantations, they did not think of black people as humans. Heck, they used veterinarians to treat their slaves

What exactly does that have to do with politics in 2024? At some point, you're going to have to stop beating this dead horse.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Pvt Snowball said:

My point is stop blaming the wrong people from getting things done 

The post you were referring to didn't "blame" any party for anything.  He simply pointed out that local elected officials have no influence over policies that define the national and state parties. 

Whether or not to fix a clock tower, hire a meter maid or clean feces out of the parking garage just aren't partisan issues.

🙄 

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Pvt Snowball said:

hold secrets meetings Republicans are doing that not dems

If you really believe that one side is evil incarnate and the other are angels sent here to save us all, I have a bridge to sell you my friend.

35 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Whether or not to fix a clock tower, hire a meter maid or clean feces out of the parking garage just aren't partisan issues

Exactly. Party has little to no bearing on these. Anything to the contrary is more of the tribal “tastes great, less filling” style of American politics.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pvt Snowball said:

What exactly does that have to do with politics in 2024? At some point, you're going to have to stop beating this dead horse.

You, my friend, appear to think of the democrats as people who have always stood for the underdog, unlike their republican counterparts. Again; I am not a fan of either party. 

46 minutes ago, command_prompt said:

You, my friend, appear to think of the democrats as people who have always stood for the underdog, unlike their republican counterparts. Again; I am not a fan of either party. 

The difference is i picked a side who mostly likely to have my people's back and a safer community I respect people who don't pick a side but don't complain when nothing getting done.

52 minutes ago, command_prompt said:

I invite to read a book called American original sin by Jim wallis 

31 minutes ago, Pvt Snowball said:

respect people who don't pick a side but don't complain when nothing getting done.

People “picking sides” and dogmatically adhering to their “side’s” ideology is the very reason things don’t get done. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pvt Snowball said:

The difference is i picked a side who mostly likely to have my people's back and a safer community I respect people who don't pick a side but don't complain when nothing getting done.

I am unsure whether you understood that I am not enamoured with Republicans. I don't pick sides. It hasn't worked before, and it never will. 

7 hours ago, Pvt Snowball said:

I invite to read a book called American original sin by Jim wallis 

White privilege?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pvt Snowball said:

The difference is i picked a side who mostly likely to have my people's back and a safer community

Have you NOT been present the last 60 years? 

Since the MLK years in all the times those people that "have your back" have had their time in the majority how has black incarceration rates faired? The state of the black nuclear family? drugs and crime (particularly Black on Black)? 

and you yourself, in another thread, are bemoaning the state of black community....

so i repeat from previous post: Plantations still exist, the owners haven't changed, just the crop

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Adam said:

Have you NOT been present the last 60 years? 

Since the MLK years in all the times those people that "have your back" have had their time in the majority how has black incarceration rates faired? The state of the black nuclear family? drugs and crime (particularly Black on Black)? 

and you yourself, in another thread, are bemoaning the state of black community....

so i repeat from previous post: Plantations still exist, the owners haven't changed, just the crop

Like I've stated In the previous comment read that book then let me know if your opinion changes.