LocalSportsGuy

Erie Plaza to be Redeveloped

Report from WETM about the Erie Plaza on the Southside being redeveloped. 

I'm honestly surprised the plaza isn't being torn down cause that plaza hasn't been touched in over a decade. Even when it was used, a good number of store fronts weren't in the best condition. The old grocery store probably hasn't been open in well over 20 years. 

Edited by LocalSportsGuy

6 minutes ago, LocalSportsGuy said:

Report from WETM about the Erie Plaza on the Southside being redeveloped. 

I'm honestly surprised the plaza isn't being torn down cause that plaza hasn't been touched in over a decade. Even when it was used, a good number of store fronts weren't in the best condition. The old grocery store probably hasn't been open in well over 20 years. 

I read that too but it doesn't seem to be about redevelopment.  Sounds like a pissin match about a fence.

Yet another former shopping plaza that needs to be leveled. 

The headline is misleading. The owner says nothing about development, just that he wants to put a fence up to keep folks out and of course the city won't let him. 

4 minutes ago, KarenK said:

The owner says nothing about development…

“Syed said he is currently working with an architect to put forward a plan to redevelop the plaza…”

I take that to mean he does want to do something with it, ( though I am skeptical) but wants to fence it off to keep people out of there until then. But the city won’t let him do that. 

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

“Syed said he is currently working with an architect to put forward a plan to redevelop the plaza…”

I take that to mean he does want to do something with it, ( though I am skeptical) but wants to fence it off to keep people out of there until then. But the city won’t let him do that. 

Yea, unlikely he will build anything but you never know.  The city not allowing a fence is weird though although I do know they have some weird codes about fences.  Heard that from a homeowner who wanted to install decorative fencing and got shot down.

A fence to protect the property and the owner from lawsuits seems to be quite logical.  I'm sure the cities insurance would encourage it.

He may redevelop it into a vacant lot ! Which may allow bypassing of the City Codes for fencing ? 

2 hours ago, KarenK said:

A fence to protect the property and the owner from lawsuits seems to be quite logical.

Logic doesn’t seem to apply in the city of Elmira too often.

A fence is a good idea but that plaza really needs to be torn down. It's such a eye source. Dollar Foods and the gym have been out over a decade ago at this point. Even when they had stores in there, it was not a great plaza. 

• Like 2