TTL News

Monster Or Myth? The Legendary Seneca Serpent

Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 11.09.26 AM.png

Does something evil actually lurk below the water in Seneca Lake, or is it hearsay?

Legends of sea serpents have spawned around the world, especially the famous Nessie in the Loch Ness in Scotland. There is the fabled Lake Erie Monster with over 100 eyewitness sightings of a blackish-greenish serpent spanning 30 – 50 feet. In practically every case, believers who have tried to document their existence have failed to do so. Yet tales about them continue to proliferate, including this one about Seneca Lake.

Here’s the real story, or is it? According to a report in the Rochester Herald on July 14,1899, around 7 p.m. the lake was calm as the side-wheeler steamship, the Otetiani, was cruising down Seneca Lake. The passengers were enjoying themselves when they saw a large object in the water. The captain observed it with his telescope and gave the engine room orders to slow down. The Otetiani steered within 100 yards of what appeared to be the keel of a capsized boat. The crew prepared to lower a boat when the object quickly moved away. Captain Herendeen ordered full speed ahead and came alongside the thing when it raised its head, opened its mouth, and displayed two rows of pointed white teeth. One of the passengers was a geologist who thought the creature was an extinct North American marine lizard belonging to a group of fish-eaters.

Read the rest here. 

Have you ever seen anything strange in or around Seneca Lake? We'd love to hear about it!

Been hearing about it my whole life but never lucky enough to see anything.  If I ever get my summer house on the lake...............😄

• Haha 3

On 10/3/2023 at 11:02 AM, Chris said:

There's the legendary "Seneca Drums" as well. 

Now those I am very familiar with … 

2 hours ago, Hal said:

Now those I am very familiar with … 

I want to say I’ve heard them in my younger years, many of which were spent there. But I can’t be sure.

When I get my home on the lake I’ll let ya know.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Chris said:

I want to say I’ve heard them in my younger years, many of which were spent there. But I can’t be sure.

When I get my home on the lake I’ll let ya know.

Look for something with an “ in law “ attachment please ?!