Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Country Song "Rich Men North Of Richmond" Bashing DC Elites Becomes

WASHINGTON (TND) — If Oliver Anthony truly sold his soul as he claims to have in his song “Rich Men North of Richmond,” the exchange seems to have paid off.

The country ballad, which criticizes Washington D.C. politicians, has made Anthony an overnight sensation, earning more than 1.7 million views and 130,000 likes in the two days since being uploaded to YouTube.

In the song, Anthony, a Virginia native, voices what he feels are concerns of America's working class. While doing so, he sings that he wishes "politicians would look out for miners" and "not just minors on an island somewhere."

Also included in the song are the lyrics, “I’ve been selling my soul/ Working all day/ Overtime hours/ For bulls--- pay," and “Lord, we got folks in the street, ain't got nothing to eat/ And the obese milking welfare/ Well God, if you're 5 foot 3 and you're 300 pounds/ Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds.”

Read the rest here.

And you can listen to the song right here:

• Like 1

Loved it in your earlier post , and now even more with the way its going viral ! But will the message get through to the swamp … nah ! 

I listened to and downloaded some of his other songs as well. They all have a real 1920’s Jimmie Rodgers era sound to them. Add to that the absolute raw, unvarnished sound, and it’s arguable the most country thing to come out in decades.

Of course Rolling Stone magazine, which hasn’t been relevant or in touch with music in decades, was quick to jump all over it as a “right-wing” anthem. But what they’re missing is there’s nothing here remotely partisan, at least not that I can hear. It’s kind of akin to Merle Haggard’s Working Man’s Blues.

Of course they would miss the mark on that song now too. The only thing they’re “on” for is putting their head firmly in their ass.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t wipe my ass with Rolling Stoner if it was all i had available while standing in poison ivy and having diarrhea ! 

• Haha 1

Umm … yeah okay 🤔
To whom it may or may not concern in the Country music Industry . True Country Music is THREE CHORDS AND THE TRUTH ! And thats why you don’t know what to make of it ! This monotonous drivel we are being served up is for marketing only , no heart put into it at all . 
This song and this young man bothers not just the Industry but probably is getting some political interest as well because he is singing aloud what a large amount of people are thinking and this is why its gone viral so fast !  

1 hour ago, Chris said:

It's a joke. The Babylon Bee is a satire page.

Babylon Bee is a satire page....but sadly some pundits "in the real world" are increasingly reacting exactly like the Bee's characterizations.

LOL

2 hours ago, Chris said:

It's a joke. The Babylon Bee is a satire page.

Well how the hell would I know that 😆😂

16 minutes ago, Hal said:

Well how the hell would I know that 😆😂

If you don't know about the Babylon Bee ...you're missing out.

It's hilarious. 

• Like 1

From what I’ve read, he’s not very happy about his song being used by some Republicans, saying that the song is also about them.

IMG_5451.jpeg

• Like 3

CNN just did a surprisingly positive piece on Oliver Anthony, going to his hometown to ask around about him. They also mentioned how he is appealing to people of all walks of life, showing a wide array of diverse people. 

• Like 1