Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Jason Aldean's "Try That In A Small Town" Controversy, Explained

Country Music Television (CMT) says it will no longer air the music video "Try That In a Small Town" by Jason Aldean after critics of the video said it contained lyrics that glorified gun violence and conveyed traditionally racist ideas. 

A CMT spokesperson confirmed the move to NPR on Thursday, but offered no comment on the reasoning. 

Since the video's release on Friday, it's emerged as a familiar kind of political litmus test, with interpretations of its message often falling along voting divides. 

Here's an overview of the situation.

I'm not a Country Music fanatic by any means. None of my radio pre-sets or satellite/TV “favorites” have ever included a Country music station. When I first saw this issue raised, I had to do a search as I wasn’t familiar with either the artist or the song.  

But I'll stipulate that I have enjoyed a few "cross-over" hits that fall into the Southern Rock genre....and was a real fan of "A Country Boy Can Survive" when it came out in 1982. 

It seems that critics have had to scramble to “transform” the basis for their outrage since the video’s release. 

Initially, they seized upon the lyrics (which they alleged promoted violence). That argument was largely abandoned when compared to far more violent lyrics from other music genres....along with the fact that the song had been out for months and the supposedly offensive lyrics weren’t challenged until the video release

Then detractors turned their pearl clutching toward what critics called racist imagery. That premise lacks merit, since it is largely actual news footage and the violent acts shown are certainly not limited to any one race of perpetrators.

That left one factual element to grasp at: The video features images of the Maury County Court House.

Yes. Apparently it does - and it was the site of a heinous lynching in 1927.

But seriously.....I do not for a second believe that even those most vehemently condemning that image actually recognized the building from the video (let alone knew its history). It is essentially a nonspecific depiction of any one of hundreds of public buildings across the nation that all share the same “generic” architectural design.

In the approximately 3 minute (180 second) video, the building backdrop is shown for a total of less than 15-20 seconds – with only the final clip lasting more than a whole second.

I could not even spot a split second glimpse of any writing that could identify the location. No one even knew what that building was until they were told to be outraged about it. 

Someone had to dig deep to make that connection....and now we have a bunch of keyboard “historians” who are pretending they had full awareness of what occurred there 96 years ago....and it’s something that was a readily noticeable affront.

Edited by MsKreed

Not being a fan of "bro country" I've never heard the song, and I don't care to listen to it. It's obviously another case of doctored up outrage. The mental gymnastics involved with this "controversy" would leave Nadia Comăneci amazed. As far as the location for the video, someone had to really do some digging for that, and let's face it, if you're looking for trouble or something bad, eventually you'll find something. And for people to believe that some songwriter on Music Row is sitting around trying to come up with hidden messages of some kind is ludicrous. They're too busy trying to churn out more Top 40 dreck and head off to the bar at 5.

I think it has more to do with Aldean being an ardent supporter of Trump than anything else.  

The backlash and unintended consequences of this are hysterical. Aldean is selling more music and other country artists are telling CMT that if the network is gonna pull his video, then pull theirs from the air too. 

2 hours ago, MsKreed said:

So MsKreed , is the message here with the photo of the Racist Courthouses that they all look alike , because they do ?! And is it coincidence that the one on the bottom right looks a whole lot like a local City Hall ? 
Asking for a neighbor …

2 hours ago, MsKreed said:

image.png.d5efbb8b0a8373e68f64ea6db72b82e2.png

Edited by Hal

4 minutes ago, Hal said:

So MsKreed , is the message here with the photo of the Racist Courthouses that they all look alike , because they do ?!

Bingo!

I figured it should be easy to pick out which ones may have some sordid history......considering how so many critics believe the general public is supposed to know when they see one in a music video.😉

• Like 1

It was stated by Whitney Houston in a radio interview that  “ music is beyond and not about any color “ when in said interview was told her fans were saying her music was not black enough . 
The race baiters were jumping up on Luke Combs over his rendition of Tracy Chapmans “ Fast Car “ . Chapman was actually happy , residuals, he did . 
Houston also covered Dolly Partons “ I will always love you “ with great success . 
Point being if the song being covered by another Singer bothers or triggers one then one has options … turn it the Hell off ! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Bingo!

I figured it should be easy to pick out which ones may have some sordid history......considering how so many critics believe the general public is supposed to know when they see one in a music video.😉

.image.jpeg.931fdb9976e682e71c9f3e9fd66beb21.jpeg

Lol the people who sparked the outrage I'm sure really care. Seems like a distraction. I think the racism topic is way overblown. Along with gender it's the easiest way to divide a republic. Besides....slavery never died it just modernized into....taxes/debt. You're a slave now you just aren't physically chained up....unless you're under house arrest.

The people crying aren't really doing it because they care. Rap songs in the 90s and 2000s said way worse things about murder and drugs and nobody batted an eye as an entire generation was raised on it. 

And for the record I loathe country music. I'm not even defending it or sticking up for the song so to speak. I've never even listened to it. Gotta say the title is weird though. 

I've been told there is never any crime or violence in small town America.

And I'm the brainwashed one. 🙄

Edited by Jack

31 minutes ago, Jack said:

Living in a small town I can assure you, there certainly is. 

Like many other forms of art, music sometimes taps into the ideals, not necessarily the reality. Think of the average Norman Rockwell painting. Did such idyllic places ever really exist? Or did Norm know that they exist in our hearts, our imaginations, and decide to tap into that to make people happy and make a living as well?

Unfortunately, Nashville is a big business and there are completely soulless people out there who know they can write a three chord song using the most cliche aspects of country living out there, and people will swallow it, hook line and sinker. That's why there's so much on the radio about tailgatin', muddin' Miller Lite and George Strait. its what a twenty-something with no clue about true country ideals wants. 

Anyhow, no one is saying ( or should be sayin ) that small towns are somehow this place on a pedestal to live. I assure you, they are not. But even that doesn't make a shitty country song racist by default. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Living in a small town I can assure you, there certainly is. 

Like many other forms of art, music sometimes taps into the ideals, not necessarily the reality. Think of the average Norman Rockwell painting. Did such idyllic places ever really exist? Or did Norm know that they exist in our hearts, our imaginations, and decide to tap into that to make people happy and make a living as well?

Unfortunately, Nashville is a big business and there are completely soulless people out there who know they can write a three chord song using the most cliche aspects of country living out there, and people will swallow it, hook line and sinker. That's why there's so much on the radio about tailgatin', muddin' Miller Lite and George Strait. its what a twenty-something with no clue about true country ideals wants. 

Anyhow, no one is saying ( or should be sayin ) that small towns are somehow this place on a pedestal to live. I assure you, they are not. But even that doesn't make a shitty country song racist by default. 

You're not telling me something I don't already know, pal. 

I don't have a problem with the song or the video other than its Jason Aldean. 

I was only stating what I've been told on facebook by some of the locals living in a fantasy world. 

I wish they'd keep George out of their songs. 

16 minutes ago, Jack said:

You're not telling me something I don't already know, pal. 

Yeah I know you better Jack, it was me going in for the sake of conversation more than anything.

17 minutes ago, Jack said:

I don't have a problem with the song or the video other than its Jason Aldean.

That made me literally laugh out loud!

18 minutes ago, Jack said:

I wish they'd keep George out of their songs. 

King George probably does too. It’s pandering at its finest. That’s what Music Row knows better than anyone.

6 hours ago, Jack said:

And I'm the brainwashed one. 🙄

Guess we could debate what a small town is. Do we count rural communities as towns or do towns have to be like Elmira? The country may have crime but if there is probably not a police force or a real reliable one anyways. 

All country songs sound the same....especially the guys. To me anyway. They talk a tough game of rebellion or they talk about drowning yourself in the bottle. Mostly why I can't stand it. People think they are cool and edgy. Wish I was older in the late 90s and early 2000s. Those pop rock songs had a lot of one hit wonders where they were being legit with you on life. But you were like 12 and it made no sense and you didn't care you just liked the brat. Aldean is nothing but a sellout. Just doing this to further the pocket. If someone is being legit they don't last. The people pulling the strings down want legitimacy. This guy already was raking in dough before this, this will just make him stupid richer.