Sign in to follow this  
LocalSportsGuy

New Businesses Coming To Downtown Elmira

Looks like a pretty cool idea. Of course doing something this nice in downtown comes with some challenges but hopefully they can overcome them.

• Like 1

So this is supposed to be what? An outdoor concert venue? A brewery? And a restaurant or something? Who can afford such a project? Doesn't the area have enough breweries already? The renderings look interesting but.....no idea how this county will be able to support it. Sounds like something they would do in a bigger city like Rochester or something. Will be interesting to see how this one goes. 

41 minutes ago, JustAGuy said:

So this is supposed to be what? An outdoor concert venue? A brewery? And a restaurant or something? Who can afford such a project? Doesn't the area have enough breweries already? The renderings look interesting but.....no idea how this county will be able to support it. Sounds like something they would do in a bigger city like Rochester or something. Will be interesting to see how this one goes. 

The talent in this area as far as live music and craft brewing goes is something that the city should finally try to tap into. Especially if they diversify the acts instead of the same ones over and over. Retail in Downtown Elmira is D-E-A-D, like the Labrador Duck that crossed over into extinction on the very shores the city sits on, so too did retail decades ago. So what's left? There's a reason they do it  in those bigger cities like Rochester and Syracuse, and it can be done here, if on a smaller scale. Zero in on the talent residing the the area and with the right marketing, the right ambiance, people will come for it. It's been proven time and again across the nation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris said:

The talent in this area as far as live music and craft brewing goes is something that the city should finally try to tap into. Especially if they diversify the acts instead of the same ones over and over. Retail in Downtown Elmira is D-E-A-D, like the Labrador Duck that crossed over into extinction on the very shores the city sits on, so too did retail decades ago. So what's left? There's a reason they do it  in those bigger cities like Rochester and Syracuse, and it can be done here, if on a smaller scale. Zero in on the talent residing the the area and with the right marketing, the right ambiance, people will come for it. It's been proven time and again across the nation. 

Whatever happened to that alive after 5 thing? They kill that with the covid times? That was a thing I remember. I never made it but I definitely remember hearing about it. This sounds like that but on a larger scale with a venue existing next to it or what not. Not sure how they will make it profitable year round though. I guess a brewery and a restaurant could work. But people already do have their favorite bars. Not sure how big the space is or if they will be able to fit acts indoors. I did notice they were at least looking at bringing in pool tables? Somebody somewhere should put in a golf simulator. Personally I would love to see one of those Slamball courts pop up somewhere. 

28 minutes ago, JustAGuy said:

Whatever happened to that alive after 5 thing?

Still going strong.

Also this is a very ambious concept but I really hope it works. I want to see nice things for Elmira. I been rooting for stuff like this for a long time. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 2:15 PM, LocalSportsGuy said:

Also this is a very ambious concept but I really hope it works. I want to see nice things for Elmira. I been rooting for stuff like this for a long time. 

Once upon a time there was almost always something going on in downtown. I've long said they should bring back "Arts In The Park" for example. They used to have a big "Race Week" event as well, but that hasn't happened in twenty years or so. Last one I remember they got country music artist Gary Allan for a free concert there on the corner of Main and Church which was pretty cool.