Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Chemung County Remains Under Air Quality Advisory

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 9.47.58 AM.png

Staff photo

Chemung County and the surrounding region are under an Air Quality Alert for a second day as smoke from Canadian wildfires continues to make it's way down into the U.S. 

As of Friday, over 400 fires have been reported from Quebec to Nova Scotia, many of which began more than a week ago and are considered to be "out of control." According to the Associated Press, the Canadian government is looking to international support to try and get the fires under control. 

Air quality index measurements for the 14901 zip code provided by AirNow.gov is currently at 351 PM2.5. PM2.5 measures "fine particulate matter" or tiny particles of matter in the air measuring 2.5 microns or less. 

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 9.52.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 10.14.07 AM.png

Images courtesy AirNow.gov

According to the New York State Department of health, particles of this size are able to make their way deep into the respiratory tract and lungs.This can cause short term effects including throat, nose, and lung irritation with coughing, sneezing, and mild shortness of breath. It is particularly dangerous for those suffering from asthma, COPD or other ailments affecting one's ability to breathe. 

People are advised to stay indoors and/or try to reduce any outdoor activities, including area schools. In a statement to families yesterday, Elmira City School Superintendent Hillary Austin advised that outdoor student activities such as recess and physical education would be limited to indoor activities until further notice.

“We have been working with our schools to make sure children stay healthy,” said Steuben County Public Health Director, Darlene Smith. “When the air quality is at an unhealthy level, it’s important for everyone to consider what outdoor activities can be rescheduled for when the air quality is better.”  

Additionally, a bocci tournament scheduled for today as part of the Chemung County Senior games has been postponed due to air quality concerns.

"The deteriorating air quality caused by these fires poses potential health risks, particularly for seniors and individuals with respiratory conditions," says Beth Stranges, Director of Chemung County Aging and Long Term Care. "After careful consideration and consultation with local Emergency Management, it has been determined that postponing the BOCCE event is the responsible course of action to safeguard the athlete’s health and welfare.Smoke from the Canadian fires is expected to linger throughout the day Wednesday, although some sources report it could be longer."

Stranges says the agency will announce a new date and time when they are able to.

Smoke form the wildfires is expected to continue to make its way to the region throughout today, and possibly later into the week according to some sources. 

This has got to be the craziest thing I have seen since I don't know when. I asked some older guys I know ( 70+ ) if they've ever seen anything like this and they said they can't recall ever seeing it. 

Here's a pic of the sun I took at 8:30 this morning. I had to really look for it by the way:

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 10.34.35 AM.png

Crazy. 

I have never seen anything like this.  I hope non of those Canadian fires were deliberately set. I haven’t heard anything on the news about causes.

- Hendy elementary school's Blacktop Carnival has been postponed to next Wed., June 14 from 5:30-7:30pm

- Tomorrow’s Wisner Market in downtown Elmira has been cancelled.

- Saturdays Church of the Redeemer Street Fair scheduled to takeplace in Elmer Park has been cancelled 

I missed the news... do they have any idea on when it will start dissipating? 

42 minutes ago, Ars76 said:

I missed the news... do they have any idea on when it will start dissipating? 

Could go into Friday, tomorrow afternoon could be bad again.  It’s not just smoke from forest fires but particles, chemicals like formaldehyde, etc.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Ann said:

Could go into Friday, tomorrow afternoon could be bad again.  It’s not just smoke from forest fires but particles, chemicals like formaldehyde, etc.

I'm glad it rained (a little at least)... that should take some of the particles out of the air....

(To the water,  but 🤷‍♀️)

• Like 2

Definitely a noticeable difference out there today!