TTL News

Big City Dreams Come True In Small Town NY

In October 2020, they started cooking out of their house for people who asked them for catering services, but eventually, they decided to save up their money and make it official. “As a family, we’ve spoken about opening a restaurant for a long time,” Crystal said. 

They were further convinced to do it with support from other family members and friends. “There’s good and bad in pursuing a career in the restaurant business, but if we didn’t take the risk, we would have never known what was possible.” Crystal shared that opening their restaurant, Boricana in Elmira, has been amazing. “We, as a family, cook everything with love and from the heart.” And the restaurant has received a lot of community support and has a growing fanbase of Latinos and non-Latinos alike.

Read the rest here.

It sure sounds interesting, has anyone eaten there yet? Fat Guy Food Reviews?

5 hours ago, Elmira Telegram said:

Read the rest here.

It sure sounds interesting, has anyone eaten there yet? Fat Guy Food Reviews?

I follow them on FB and really want to try it.  My one issue is that their hours are spontaneous which seems to be a new trend.  Open when they can and little notice when they can't.  Discourages me from even making the trip since even though they post they are open some sudden family crisis causes them to close.  Two man show so it happens I guess.

The food looks fabulous especially the chicken stew and pork chops. 😋

Random hours is usually the death knell of any business. I'll give a place one, maybe two, chances. But if they're closed after that, I'll go somewhere else or go home and make a sammich. 

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Random hours is usually the death knell of any business. I'll give a place one, maybe two, chances. But if they're closed after that, I'll go somewhere else or go home and make a sammich. 

They are all doing it now. Marshells included. 

28 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Places can do it all they want, doesn’t mean I’m buying into it. 

1 hour ago, KarenK said:

That's why I have not tried them yet. However I have heard good things.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Places can do it all they want, doesn’t mean I’m buying into it. 

I think the concept of spontaneous hours is more tenable in a metro area where there is sufficient traffic at any given time that they may be open (food trucks and carts also do better in high traffic areas, unless they have good social media and advertising to alert customers - like FireHouse subs, etc).

In an area like this, with lots of rural folks......knowing someplace has regular hours of operation is a much bigger factor instead of “wandering on down” to see if it’s open.

On 6/6/2023 at 10:02 AM, Zapp Brannigan said:

He has not tried them yet. The random hours do pose a problem.  Quite honestly Marshalls is on the hit list next their food looks amazing

Tried Marshells over the weekend and it was well worth the extra trip to Elmira