Chris

Lewisburg's Country Cupboard To Close

Kelly Township, Pa. -- The County Cupboard, a family-owned restaurant and shopping destination in Union County, is set to close by the end of February.

Chris Baylor, Country Cupboard CEO and co-owner, announced the expected closure on Monday morning alongside family members. The popular restaurant has operated for several generations—49 years in total.

"As a family we have decided to close Country Cupboard Restaurant and Shops," said Robert Hamm, Jr., co-owner. "The decision did not come overnight — nor is it easy to announce — however we have come to a semblance of peace with this decision and will be doing everything in our power to assist our many loyal full- and part-time employees to transition their careers."

See the rest here.

• Sad 1

I know!

I haven’t been there in a long time, mostly because of Covid and I’ve only been down there once since it all started. But whenever we’ve traveled through Central PA and it’s dinner time, “All roads lead to Country Cupboard.”

• Like 1

We've been there to eat many times - and my honey bun would spend two hours in the shops afterwards (which was a bit less enjoyable than eating there - for me anyway). Maybe we'll run down there before the end of February - just for old times sake.  It will be a sad day when it closes, to be sure.

• Like 1

When they had more actual OLD antiques, it was a lot more fun to poke around. Then they switched over to a lot of mass produced faux country stuff and it wasn’t as interesting. I still enjoyed grabbing a coffee, maybe some baked goodies or candy for later before hitting the road.

2 hours ago, banjoman said:

Maybe we'll run down there before the end of February - just for old times sake

I thought about this too, but with our schedule I don’t think I’m gonna have time. If I do though, I may go.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chris said:

When they had more actual OLD antiques, it was a lot more fun to poke around.

You're absolutely right about that.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chris said:

My cousin posted the other day that they had started knocking it down.  So sad.  Haven't been there in years but used to stop all the time when we were kids.

• Sad 2

It was really weird to drive by it and see the parking lot empty. Lewisburg just won't be the same. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

It was really weird to drive by it and see the parking lot empty. Lewisburg just won't be the same. 

The place held a lot of memories didnt it , like road trips with my Sons , they always had the best food and even better dessert buffet ! Oh and one in particular with you and Abby when she was expecting with my first grandson Andy 😝, poor girl was constantly sick to her stomach… bet those people wondered why you pulled into their driveway so fast ?! 

• Like 1

I was told it was gone. I braced myself to see that, yes, it was gone. 

And it still made me stop for a moment, much to the probable dismay of the old guy driving the car behind me. 

It's just... gone. An empty lot with a fence around where the building once stood. 

I used to say, "All roads lead to Country Cupboard," but no more. 

A short time after seeing that, I heard two ladies, maybe in their thirties, talking about it being gone. The one had never been there, and the other was telling her what it was like. I felt like there could have been a good moment for socialization and shared grief there, but it probably would have gotten me funny looks at best. 

I know we have talked about this lately but i still can’t understand why they weren’t bought out . As many times as I have been there I have never not seen the parking lot full of cars trucks and buses … oops , sorry Karen , and motorcycles.Yeah I’ll bet it was a shocker to see it gone !