Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Forget The Man Cave, Bring Back The Study

Man caves are for boys. Studies are for men.

Go ahead…

Turn your basement into a boy’s paradise. Install your flat screen TV. Make your cave a gaming paradise (eyes rolling out of my head.) Set up all your favorite memorabilia and get a foosball table. Just don’t ask for respect. It’s been done before.

Homes used to have an office or study built in them. This is more common with older homes. I say we bring them back. My wife would be rolling her eyes right now if she were reading this. She knows I’ve wanted a study for years.

Read the rest here.

What do you think? 

I'll bite. 

The idea of a man and his possession's being relegated to the furthest, darkest corner of the home irritates the hell out of me. I blame that "Mars and Venus" twit who said men need to have a cave to go and brood in. 

A home is owned and lived in by more than one person and should reflect that. Any time "I'm not letting you put ______ there." is uttered it should be met with "Then take my name off the mortgage."

And really, if we're going to make banishing the men and their possessions to the basement, then the women can just "Live, Laugh, Love" their ass out to the kitchen and make a sammich. 

( If that doesn't spur conversation I don't know what will. )

3 hours ago, Chris said:

And really, if we're going to make banishing the men and their possessions to the basement, then the women can just "Live, Laugh, Love" their ass out to the kitchen and make a sammich. 

Make that a ham sammich and bring it up to my Conservatory! 

I don’t subscribe to the idea that either partner should be “relegated” to some confined location by the other.....but I do think they should have a “space of their own” if they want to enjoy occasional time away from from household chaos.

Whether it’s for watching TV, woodworking, throwing darts, sewing/crafting, PlayStation gaming or reading..... lot of people I know that have either a “man cave” or “she shed” have it by choice – not because their significant other “put” them there.

I (personally) agree with the author that a quiet study is more appealing than a game room.....but at the end of the day, the question of which one depends on what floats your boat.

• Like 1

I have always wanted a library with plenty of book shelves, a fireplace, area rugs and a couple comfortable wingback chairs.

Personally I have never liked the whole “man cave “ reference . While watching Home renovation shows and such that term comes up often while homes are being shown or plans are reviewed and most times it is the basement … the whole damn basement! I have what I call my music room , all 14 x14 foot of it filled with my favorite things ( okay more than a few 😆) but I don’t feel I’m relegated to that room by the wife , to the contrary , she knows that being up there calms me . But to have a complete finished basement equipped with all the latest exciting gadgets and games seems to defeat the purpose of getting away from that household chaos by jumping into more noise and chaos . 

• Like 2

I like the sound of sophistication that comes with the phrase, "the study". 

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

I like the sound of sophistication that comes with the phrase, "the study". 

Oh sure , the level of sophistication drops on a “ conservatory “ when there is a banjo or two ( or three 🤔 ) involved LOL! 

12 hours ago, Hal said:

Personally I have never liked the whole “man cave “ reference . While watching Home renovation shows and such that term comes up often while homes are being shown or plans are reviewed and most times it is the basement … the whole damn basement! I have what I call my music room , all 14 x14 foot of it filled with my favorite things ( okay more than a few 😆) but I don’t feel I’m relegated to that room by the wife , to the contrary , she knows that being up there calms me . But to have a complete finished basement equipped with all the latest exciting gadgets and games seems to defeat the purpose of getting away from that household chaos by jumping into more noise and chaos . 

I know being in your music room calms you but it calms me too…..I can watch all the cooking shows I want 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1