Sign in to follow this  
Ann

The New Walton Homecoming movie

Lately, there has been a trend to remake old television shows and movies and the new ones are rarely as good as the originals.

We watched the new Walton movie the other night and, using a phrase from the movie, it sucked.  First, we all know the Waltons had 7 kids but  evidently Ben not born as he was missing.  It was awful, hearing modern verbage being used in a 1930’s time frame.  The writers did include a couple familiar phrases from the original movie but it just seemed off.  The writers also made sure to include some of today’s woke ideas that were totally incorrect for the time period of the movie.  The only enjoyable part of the movie was seeing and hearing  the original John-Boy narrate the new movie.  I don’t see this becoming a holiday favorite.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I saw that it was on and set it to record. During the first ad break in the other show we were watching I switched over to this one. Two minutes later I canceled the DVR recording and turned the channel.

Everyone had such nice clean and stylish clothes, which goes against the whole idea of how hard they had it in the original story. Interestingly, there are parts in the book that are not included in the original CBS version ( that later became The Waltons ) about how John Boy entered the black church, which the white men took over for their week night poker games, and wasn't exactly made to feel welcome at first:

"Row after row of black faces looked back at him questioningly. He stood there for a moment, uncomfortable that he had interrupted the service, seeing in the eyes that gazed at him that he had no right there and was not welcome. A wave of resentment flowed through the congregation, a murmur of whispered voices melting toward anger."

Anyway, yeah this was probably nothing more than an easy paycheck for Richard Thomas as well as the others on the screen. 

It sucked, all two minutes of what I saw. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

I saw that it was on and set it to record. During the first ad break in the other show we were watching I switched over to this one. Two minutes later I canceled the DVR recording and turned the channel.

Everyone had such nice clean and stylish clothes, which goes against the whole idea of how hard they had it in the original story. Interestingly, there are parts in the book that are not included in the original CBS version ( that later became The Waltons ) about how John Boy entered the black church, which the white men took over for their week night poker games, and wasn't exactly made to feel welcome at first:

"Row after row of black faces looked back at him questioningly. He stood there for a moment, uncomfortable that he had interrupted the service, seeing in the eyes that gazed at him that he had no right there and was not welcome. A wave of resentment flowed through the congregation, a murmur of whispered voices melting toward anger."

Anyway, yeah this was probably nothing more than an easy paycheck for Richard Thomas as well as the others on the screen. 

It sucked, all two minutes of what I saw. 

In this movie, Olivia and the kids attended services at the black church while John-Boy was looking for his father.  At the church services everyone was all smiles, while  Erin and a young man her age were making goo goo eyes at each other.  Would not happen in 1930’s Virginia.  

I should have known better.  I’ll be watching the original.

A remake of the Waltons is definitely something that should have not been done. Just wait till they decide to do a modern rendition of it. 

7 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

A remake of the Waltons is definitely something that should have not been done. Just wait till they decide to do a modern rendition of it. 

Judging by the clothes they had the characters wear, they kinda did. 

I have to say though, I just found the title track from the movie, a remake of the original Waltons theme, done on piano and it’s kinda nice ( couldn’t find it on YouTube, sorry):

0A5327F7-8D93-46B1-AE63-96F2CF1E6002.jpeg