Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

"I Remember When..."

You know what you were doing when the 9/11 attacks happened. 

People remember where they were when Kennedy was assassinated. 

Everyone can tell you where they were when something big happened in our nation's history. And more often than not, those events were tragic and traumatic. 

But what about the big events that happened to you, in your life? You know, those personal events that, while perhaps not noteworthy of the world history books, are things you will never forget and remember fondly?

Your first pet. Your first car. Your first concert. 

You get the picture. Let's hear your own personal, "I remember when..."

I will never forget when we finally got more than two tv channels here in our part of rural Chemung County. 

It was 1994, and we'd gotten the first mini-dish in town, Primestar was the company name. I came home that night from work and I think I stayed up til 4am flipping through the channels. Not only was there more than just 18 and 36, it was crystal clear!

LOL of course now we take it for granted. And when seeing some of the garbage on tv now, I think perhaps we were better off with only two channels. 

• Like 4

I remember when I moved into my first apartment.

Fully furnished with noisy appliances and second hand dishes that didn’t match....but felt so exciting to be “independent” and gonna be living the dream.

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had another one occur to me today: The first time I heard “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana.

I was driving down Lake St from work, and right at the Kwik Fill station there on McCanns Boulevard. 94 Rock on the radio. I heard that opening guitar riff for the first time. Then the drums. Then the explosive sound of grunge rattling my ear drums for the first time.

I was blown away. Apparently everyone else was too because it was all they talked about the next day at school. 

I think about that moment every time I hear the song. Every. Single. Time.

some of the oddest things: watching the (i think) mexican down a few doors with his machine that rolled cigarettes(i think)

Chris was it Pancho? that lived around us...he would be standing on a wooded structure i think on 1 leg singing weebles wobble can still smell that chemically woody smell on summer days along with going over to the park with the train caboose.

We were talking at work today about the old toy catalogues and going through them circling gifts we wanted, man toys/advert these days suck in comparison

We raised 3 boys in this little community…. I have a butt load of “ I remember whens “ !! Where shall I start hmmm 🤔😂

I remember when … I got my first car at 16 years old ! Given to me by an Uncle it was a beauty. 1964 Chevy Nova II SS , maroon with black pleather interior , bucket seats automatic on the floor . Man that thing would really move … up and down the driveway that is ! 
Needing a license was the kicker . My parents were not the most affectionate, accommodating folks and with no one to teach me to drive ( properly ) to get said License so as to get a job so as to register said vehicle i decided to sell it . Sold it on time to a guy i knew , he promptly wrapped it around a tree while drunk … nice huh before even making the first payment !! 
Troopers called the next morning and i had to explain to them , then had to explain to the old man ( easier to deal with the Troopers ) ! 
Anyway , car to junkyard , lessons learned for future reference ! 
That car today would be worth $$$ by the way ! 

• Like 2