Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Gardening 2023

We do gardening as an activity for the patients and what we produced this year was disappointing. 

Will leaves suffice in adding nutrients to our soil? I am trying to get a compost bin, but admin keeps pushing back on the idea. 

Is there a recommended product I can mix in with the soil? Should we change the soil out? 

I'll take any tips or advice. I should have paid better attention to when my father gardened. 

We have a raised garden bed. We usually grow peas, peppers, cukes, and tomatoes. 

37 minutes ago, Jack said:

Will leaves suffice in adding nutrients to our soil? I am trying to get a compost bin, but admin keeps pushing back on the idea. 

They'll help, but won't suffice alone. You can buy finished and screened compost at Banfield Baker. Thats really all I use, in addition to the compost I get from our own bins here. 

A soil test wouldn't hurt. Cornell Cooperative Extension should be able to help you with it. 

So here's what I learned this year:

• Just buy fresh corn. It's far more reliable than trying to grow it unless you have a huge area planted.
  • I've gotten better at pruning basil to keep it from getting "leggy." I still can't keep it alive once it's moved inside for winter. 
  • Morning glory plants are heavy. Chicken wire stapled to 2x4s aint gonna cut it. 
  • I'm also giving up on onions. I can't get them to grow and they take up valuable garden space. 
  • Done with tomatoes as well, unless they're in a pot on their own.
  • The moment I give away those delicata squash I grew, the wife will find a recipe that calls for them. 
  • Plant less zucchini. 
  • Potatoes continue to be the best yield for the last amount of work.
  • Like 1

My lessons for next year ;

Plant less potatoes ! 
Put cabbages and Brussel sprouts in a separate patch and fenced in . 
No rutabaga , delicious but not every damn day . 
Buy two more cedar raised beds … worth every penny !! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chris said:

So here's what I learned this year:

• Just buy fresh corn. It's far more reliable than trying to grow it unless you have a huge area planted.
  • I've gotten better at pruning basil to keep it from getting "leggy." I still can't keep it alive once it's moved inside for winter. 
  • Morning glory plants are heavy. Chicken wire stapled to 2x4s aint gonna cut it. 
  • I'm also giving up on onions. I can't get them to grow and they take up valuable garden space. 
  • Done with tomatoes as well, unless they're in a pot on their own.
  • The moment I give away those delicata squash I grew, the wife will find a recipe that calls for them. 
  • Plant less zucchini. 
  • Potatoes continue to be the best yield for the last amount of work.

Have you tried drying your basil?  

44 minutes ago, Ann said:

Have you tried drying your basil?  

Oh yeah, lots of it. I just can't keep it alive once it's moved indoors. 

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Oh yeah, lots of it. I just can't keep it alive once it's moved indoors. 

Have you thought about starting a pot of basil indoors instead of moving outside to inside?