Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Kevin Smith's He-Man Animated Series First Pictures Revealed

It seems like a long time since Kevin Smith first announced he was creating a new He-Man animated series that would be a “continuation” of the original ‘80s cartoon for eight-year-olds. Now, we finally have our first look at Masters of the Universe: Revelation, and I think I finally understand what Smith is doing...and I think I like it.

This is quite a surprise to me. I have repeatedly announced what a He-Man fan I am on io9, but have been constantly annoyed by the Revelation project because it’s been touted as a sequel to the original show, which is bananas because the original show never had an overarching storyline. (It’s also been touted as an anime series, which Netflix has now asked journalists not to call it.) Like almost all cartoons of the time, there was no serialized storytelling; He-Man would just thwart a new plot of Skeletor’s each week. There was never a story to continue.

Furthermore, while Revelation was clearly meant to appeal to adults who grew up in the ‘80s, there are many parts of the classic cartoon made solely to cater to little kids, and continuing the original Masters of the Universe presumably meant it had to bring back annoyances like Cringer, Battlecat’s scaredy-cat alter-ego; magical nitwit Orko, who was comic relief that was never funny; and the fact that Skeletor’s minions were virtually all stone-cold imbeciles.

And then I finally saw the first stills:

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 5.12.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 5.12.20 PM.png

These are clearly the classic character designs of the ‘80s, they just look...good. But what really sold me was the update of Orko, one of my most-loathed characters.

See more of the article and more pics from the show here.

I never cared much for Orko either. 

The original cartoons were nothing but 20 minute ads for the newest toy in the line. I watched a couple recently, and man, they were pretty bad in hindsight. Ah well, we enjoyed them at the time, and had the toys, so mission accomplished I guess

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adam said:

certainly will be giving this a watch

Oh yeah, can’t wait. I trust Kevin to do right by it like I trust Favreau with Star Wars.