TTL News

BREAKING: Supreme Court To Take Up Major Second Amendment Concealed Handgun Case

The court agreed to hear a challenge to a New York state law that allows residents to carry a concealed handgun only if they can demonstrate a special need beyond a general desire for self-protection. The law "makes it virtually impossible for the ordinary law-abiding citizen" to get the necessary license, Paul Clement, a lawyer representing the challengers, said.

One of them, Robert Nash, said he was wanted to carry a gun in response to a string of robberies in his neighborhood. Another, Brendan Koch, also cited a desire to carry a gun for protection. Both men said they had completed gun safety courses, but both were turned down when they applied for permits. They joined a lawsuit challenging the law brought by the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association.

New York bans carrying a handgun openly. The state law says anyone seeking a license to carry a concealed weapon must demonstrate "a special need for self protection distinguishable from that of the general community or of persons engaged in the same profession."

The law is so restrictive, Clement said, that it cannot be reconciled with the Supreme Court's "affirmation of the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation."

Read the rest here.

When this was the case in Chemung County, it was left too much at the sole discretion of the county judge. In my case, I was turned down the first time and very blatantly told the judge didn't believe anyone besides police officers needed to carry a handgun. No appeal, no consideration for my reason for applying in the first place ( accompanied by a letter from my employer stating the same reasons ), and an almost smarmy, "Oh well" attitude. 

I tried again years later with a different judge and it was granted. Of course then Sheriff Moss helped bring radical changes to the process and everyone gets a CCW permit. Boy am I glad how things have changed!

I thought CCP was at the discretion of the County, not the State?  I have one but had it before SAFE was enacted.  I just wrote a letter to the Judge as to why I wanted it and it was granted.  

I believe the laws should state that any legally owned and registered gun may be carried in a concealed fashion, no paperwork or 'permissions' required. I further believe that it is the intimidating and at times alarming practice of open carry that should be closely controlled by state and local laws. 

I would just like my NY permit to cover all of NY. I don't think another state says you can carry in the state, except for this area. Reminds me of the meme from Lion King.

• Like 1