TTL News

Rep. Tom Reed Accused Of Sexual Misconduct

Nicolette Davis said she was 25, on her first networking trip as a junior lobbyist for an insurance company, when she felt the 45-year-old congressman’s hand on her back. She and other lobbyists had gathered at an Irish pub in Minneapolis after a day of ice fishing, Davis told The Washington Post, and Rep. Tom Reed (R-N.Y) was seated to her left.

“A drunk congressman is rubbing my back,” she texted a friend and co-worker at Aflac that evening in 2017, adding later, “HELP HELP.”

Reed, his hand outside her blouse, briefly fumbled with her bra before unhooking it by pinching the clasp, Davis told The Post. He moved his hand to her thigh, inching upward, she said.

Frozen in fear, she said, she asked the person sitting to her right for help. He obliged by pulling the congressman away from the table and out of the restaurant, Davis said.

Reed declined to be interviewed for this story. In response to a detailed list of questions, he said in a statement provided by his office: “This account of my actions is not accurate.”

See the rest of the story here. 

Timing is convenient.  I truly don’t understand why people wait years before speaking out when something like this happens.  Why did the individual she asked for help keep quiet?  Human nature being what it is, people talk yet it’s five years before anything is said about this.

29 minutes ago, Ann said:

Timing is convenient.  I truly don’t understand why people wait years before speaking out when something like this happens.  Why did the individual she asked for help keep quiet?  Human nature being what it is, people talk yet it’s five years before anything is said about this.

I agree.  A week after he indicates he may run for Gov?  Just like Kavanaughs sudden "rape" right as he was about to be appointed to the SC.  

• Like 3

UPDATE: Rep. Reed has released a statement:

First, I apologize to Nicolette Davis. Even though I am only hearing of this matter as stated by Ms. Davis in the article now, I hear her voice and will not dismiss her. In reflection, my personal depiction of this event is irrelevant. Simply put, my behavior caused her pain, showed her disrespect and was unprofessional. I was wrong, I am sorry, and I take full responsibility. I further apologize to my wife and kids, my family, the people of the 23rd District, my colleagues, and those who have supported me for the harm this caused them.

Second, I want to share that this occurred at a time in my life in which I was struggling. Upon entering treatment in 2017, I recognized that I am powerless over alcohol. I am now approaching four years of that personal lifelong journey of recovery. With the support of my wife, kids and loved ones, professional help, and trust in a higher power, I continue that journey day-by-day. This is in no way an excuse for anything I’ve done. Consistent with my recovery, I publicly take ownership of my past actions, offer this amends and humbly apologize again to Ms. Davis, my wife and kids, loved ones, and to all of you.

Third, I plan to dedicate my time and attention to making amends for my past actions. In addition to apologizing to those I have impacted, including Ms. Davis, I will be seeking to help those wrestling with addiction in any way I can. To others who may be struggling the way I have, please know that by seeking help your life will be forever changed in an extremely positive way. Though the journey is hard please know the rewards are amazing and you are worth it.

As I go forward, I will strive to be a better human being, continue to fight for what I believe in, and to make people’s lives better in any way I can. I hope this formal apology is just the start.

Reed announced he will not seek re-election or run for governor of New York in 2022. Reed had pledged when he was elected in 2010 he would not serve more than six terms, or 12 years. He will retire from public service in 2023. 

Additionally, the Town of Harmony Town Hall meeting scheduled for today will be rescheduled for another date. The Town Of Big Flats Town Hall meeting will also be rescheduled for another date. 

• Like 1

This is unfortunate and I do feel sympathy for Mr. Reed and his family.  Alcohol can cause as much destruction in a person’s life as drugs.  I believe his apology is sincere and I respect him for owning his actions.  I have a feeling he didn’t remember the incident until the woman spoke out.  I noticed Mitrano was quick to fault Mr. Reed’s four years of recovery by pointing out how part of recovery is apologizing to those harmed but he waited until the woman came forward so he wasn’t sincere (paraphrasing).  

I would like to know the name of the man sitting next to her that she asked for help and why everyone present at that time kept quiet for four years.  Why hasn’t anyone else present at that time spoken up about the incident?   I still say the timing is just too convenient.  I can’t help but wonder who he pissed off be it State level or in the House or Senate. 

What I find distasteful are the many comments on FB calling him scum because he was a collection attorney and nasty comments about what has happened.  According to them, he is scum for representing creditors trying to get payment for services rendered but the individuals who didn’t pay for those services are the victims.  I knew someone who worked at his firm and they worked with the people who genuinely fell on hard times financially with payment plans.  It was those individuals who received insurance checks and kept the money instead of paying the provider, or defaulted on loans and the attitude was “try and get the money if you can”.  The law allows remedy for creditors.  

I do not believe he needs to resign now as FB commentators are saying.  He should finish his term.  As for FB, it must be awesome to be such perfect human beings, never making mistakes, always living an exemplary life  so you can judge and tear apart the rest of us mere mortals.  Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ann said:

I do not believe he needs to resign now as FB commentators are saying.  He should finish his term.  As for FB, it must be awesome to be such perfect human beings, never making mistakes, always living an exemplary life  so you can judge and tear apart the rest of us mere mortals.  Just my humble opinion.

Funny you mention the perfect FBers.  I was "this close" to saying almost the exact same thing to someone going off on someone today.  Unusual for me to keep my mouth shut, but I did.  LOL.

12 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Funny you mention the perfect FBers.  I was "this close" to saying almost the exact same thing to someone going off on someone today.  Unusual for me to keep my mouth shut, but I did.  LOL.

"Karen kept her mouth shut," would make for a major headline! 😝

1 hour ago, Chris said:

"Karen kept her mouth shut," would make for a major headline! 😝

🖕

• Haha 1