TTL News

Should NY Spend $4.2 Billion On Climate Change Mitigation And The Environment?

When you go to cast your ballot in this year’s midterm election, remember to flip it over. On the back, you’ll see Proposition 1, which asks New Yorkers whether the state should borrow $4.2 billion for environmental projects.

If approved, that money would be spent in the coming decades on reducing flood risks, mitigating the effects of climate change, and preserving land around the state. 

Extreme weather events like Hurricane Sandy and Irene have pummeled New York State in recent decades, temperatures are rising. New York is not immune to the effects of climate change. 

But Peter Bauer, the executive director of Protect the Adirondacks, says New York has the chance to become a leader and even a haven in the face of climate change.

“People are going to look at Upstate New York with all of these trees with all of this water with this pastoral landscape with the Adirondack and Catskill Park and the Hudson Valley, and they're going to be like my god, upstate New York is a paradise on earth," says Bauer.

Read the rest here

What do you think?

My question is “ what good does it do if NYS, and/ or the USA, spends billions of dollars to stop climate change when other States or Countries like China, India, Russia, etc continue as is?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

“People are going to look at Upstate New York with all of these trees with all of this water with this pastoral landscape with the Adirondack and Catskill Park and the Hudson Valley, and they're going to be like my god, upstate New York is a paradise on earth," says Bauer.

This quote really stood out to me when I heard this on NPR yesterday morning. I couldn't help but think that with that mentality will also come the droves of people from the cities, causing a housing price increase that native upstate New Yorkers simply can't afford.

• Like 1

That's just a no for me right up front.  "Borrow" 4.2 billion?  and pay it back with what?