Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Polls Show NY Governor's Race Is Tightening

New polls out Tuesday show the race for New York governor is tightening, with Republican candidate Rep. Lee Zeldin narrowing the gap between himself and Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul.

Hochul replaced former Gov. Andrew Cuomo over a year ago, when Cuomo resigned over a sexual harassment scandal. She’s seeking election to a full term.

Hochul’s still ahead, but her support among likely New York voters has decreased, and backing for Zeldin has increased since the last time Siena College conducted a poll, said Siena spokesman Steve Greenberg.

“In the last three weeks, Rep. Zeldin has been able to close the gap against Gov. Hochul,” Greenberg said.

Last month’s Siena poll found Hochul leading by 17 points, at 54% to 37%. Now, Hochul is at 52% and Zeldin is at 41%, an 11-point lead.

See the rest here.

Though I can't say I'm a fan of Zeldin, I'm even less a fan of Hochul and the direction this state has been going. So this is somewhat promising news. 

Further reading from the original source:

A second poll released Tuesday, from Quinnipiac University, shows the race even closer, with Hochul at 50% to Zeldin’s 46%, and with crime as the No. 1 issue of concern to voters.

Also... a NY Magazine article (here) breaks likely voters down a little more on their regions and top issues:

Both surveys have Zeldin leading upstate and in the suburbs, but they differ in how well he’s doing in the Democratic stronghold of New York City.

Siena shows 23 percent for Zeldin in the city, but Quinnipiac puts him at 37 percent. It’s an important difference: Zeldin’s campaign has said he could win if he gets 30 percent support from the city. By comparison, Republican Curtis Sliwa won 27 percent in his bid for mayor last year.

Either way, Zeldin has gained on Hochul across New York potentially thanks to concerns about crime: 28 percent of voters in the Quinnipiac poll called it their most important election issue, followed by inflation at 20 percent and protecting democracy at 14 percent. Zeldin has taken every opportunity to link the governor to crime, such as a September ad showing violent footage with the narration “You’re looking at actual violent crimes caught on-camera in Kathy Hochul’s New York, and it’s getting much worse on Kathy Hochul’s watch.”

Edited by MsKreed

She made her bed with the health care worker vaccine mandate. 

Burn it. 

• Like 1

except, just as with Federal Gov; the State Senate/Assembly are the legislative bodies and bear the majority of blame and responsibility for the conditions in our State, and remains steadfastly Dem....even if Zeldin wins, nobody should be expecting much to change

I watched Zeldin's segment on the "forum" they had on TV late last week. He didn't seem like the d-bag I thought him to be. He was able to answer questions that were thrown at him well enough. I didn't care to watch Kathy though, I've heard enough from her the past year to KNOW I won't vote for her. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 1:02 PM, Chris said:

I didn't care to watch Kathy though, I've heard enough from her the past year to KNOW I won't vote for her. 

You didn't miss much.  

She spent most of her time equating Zeldin to "Orange Man Bad".

6 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

You didn't miss much.  

She spent most of her time equating Zeldin to "Orange Man Bad".

Really, does she have much more to go on? She’s done such a dismal job I almost miss Cuomo.

• Like 1

In their only scheduled debate, Gov. Kathy Hochul of New York and her challenger, Representative Lee Zeldin, quarreled intensely on Tuesday over divisive issues such as rising crime and abortion access, while accusing each other of corruption and dangerous extremism.

Mr. Zeldin, who has spent his campaign trying to appeal to voters’ dissatisfaction with the status quo, went on the attack from the get-go, frequently raising his voice as he channeled a sense of outrage, especially around crime. Ms. Hochul, a Buffalo-area Democrat vying for her first full term, took a more measured approach that fit her insistence that the state needs a steady hand to lead it.

Beyond trading barbs, neither candidate appeared to have a major breakout moment or gaffe that could reshape the race, which, according to recent polls, may be tightening just two weeks before Election Day. But both staked out starkly different positions on substantive matters from crime to vaccine mandates and the migrant crisis ahead of the general election on Nov. 8.

Source: NY Times

I didn't watch it, did anyone here? What did you think?

On 10/23/2022 at 9:01 PM, Adam said:

even if Zeldin wins, nobody should be expecting much to change

Well - if he fires the AG on day one, as he says he can do, and he gets behind law enforcement officers - then he deserves a chance far as I am concerned. Maybe we can deal with the dems and a-holes in the Legislature on the next go-around.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, banjoman said:

Well - if he fires the AG on day one, as he says he can do, and he gets behind law enforcement officers - then he deserves a chance far as I am concerned. Maybe we can deal with the dems and a-holes in the Legislature on the next go-around.

True enough. At the very least him being in the governor's chair would put an end to all this knee jerk legislation she rubber stamps. Even if he only slows their roll, it's something. 

• Like 2