TTL News

Langworthy Declares Victory In GOP Primary For NY-23, Sempolinski Wins Special Election To Succeed Tom Reed

In one of the most intriguing races to happen across the state Tuesday, Langworthy remains slightly ahead of Paladino 52% to 48%, according to the latest unofficial results. Paladino had led Langworthy earlier in the evening. About 2,000 votes currently separate the two candidates.

Paladino, a 2010 gubernatorial candidate, is best known for his outspoken style that led to allegations of sexism and racism.

Langworthy has been GOP party chair since 2019. He has been criticized for remaining in that position during his candidacy for Congress. It’s unclear what his victory in this primary means for that position and his capacity in it. A native of the Southern Tier, Langworthy has also served as the Erie County GOP chairman and currently lives in Niagara County.

He and Paladino have been staunch supporters of former President Donald Trump and have voiced their support during their campaigns.

Read the rest here.

In other news:

Steuben County Republican Chairman Joe Sempolinski has won the special election for New York's current 23rd Congressional District, defeating Democrat Max Della Pia, chairman of the Tioga County Democratic Committee, The Associated Press projects.

Sempolinski will serve out the remainder of former Rep. Tom Reed's term. Reed had already planned not to run for re-election, but then resigned in May to work for the lobbying arm of a public relations firm, prompting this special election for his seat.

Source 

I was a little surprised at how close Langworthy and Palladino were.  I can't stand to even listen to Palladino talk.  lol

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KarenK said:

I was a little surprised at how close Langworthy and Palladino were.  I can't stand to even listen to Palladino talk.  lol

No kidding. "Warshington"???

I guess I don't see the reasoning for Semploinski, or anyone, to run only to serve for a couple months. I can't help but wonder what the motive is behind it. Would he be able to retire from that position with full congressional benefits?

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Would he be able to retire from that position with full congressional benefits?

No, 

A full pension is available to Members of Congress who are:

*62 years of age with five years of service;

*50 years or older with 20 years of service; or

*25 years of service at any age.

https://foxx.house.gov/legislation/fact-or-fiction-members-and-pensions.htm

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Then maybe it’s a stepping stone.

That's what I am thinking. US Congress looks good on a resume.

6 hours ago, Chris said:

No kidding. "Warshington"???

I guess I don't see the reasoning for Semploinski, or anyone, to run only to serve for a couple months. I can't help but wonder what the motive is behind it. Would he be able to retire from that position with full congressional benefits?

Sempolinski was supposed to be on the other primary as well with the intention of his being on both and moving forward in Nov.  Somehow something got screwed up and he was disqualified from the primary for the Nov election.