Kevin

Wayfair cuts 5% of staff

While the administration likes to point out that “consumer spending is up”.....the higher costs of basic necessities are keeping people from making less demand for a lot of the more "non-essential" products that Wayfair carries.

I imagine through the first year+ of the pandemic, sales were good with people with extra cash from enhanced UI, stimulus checks and not paying rent or student loans.....but that's pretty much over now.

I have family that worked Wayfair when they went remote. One left due to a personal tragedy and the other stayed on full time remote. A while ago, I was looking into finding part-time remote work in the hopes of retiring early...and was surprised that most companies that say “work from anywhere” are now limiting residency requirements to certain states....and almost all (including Wayfair) exclude NY residents. I think it’s obvious that NY labor/employment laws are a deterrence for employers.

1 minute ago, MsKreed said:

While the administration likes to point out that “consumer spending is up”.....the higher costs of basic necessities are keeping people from making less demand for a lot of the more "non-essential" products that Wayfair carries.

I imagine through the first year+ of the pandemic, sales were good with people with extra cash from enhanced UI, stimulus checks and not paying rent or student loans.....but that's pretty much over now.

I have family that worked Wayfair when they went remote. One left due to a personal tragedy and the other stayed on full time remote. A while ago, I was looking into finding part-time remote work in the hopes of retiring early...and was surprised that most companies that say “work from anywhere” are now limiting residency requirements to certain states....and almost all (including Wayfair) exclude NY residents. I think it’s obvious that NY labor/employment laws are a deterrence for employers.

You can work from with Wayfair. The 5 states they don't allow are Alaska, Hawaii, California and Wyoming. I don't remember the 5th one. 

They don't hire people for part time. Everyone starts full time and then you can request to go part time. 

They have had a hiring freeze in effect since May for anything other than entry level front line positions. 

Perhaps NY is in a hiring freeze and/or previous employees are grandfathered? Seems silly to designate locations when the work can be done from anyplace.  These are the only states that listed remote jobs when I was checking:

Screenshot_20220820-110252_Chrome.jpg

Edited by MsKreed
  • Confused 1