Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Top 10 Muppet Show Episodes: Our Definitive List

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 10.42.41 AM.png

Have you heard The Muppet Show is coming to Disney+? I’m sure you have, but in case you missed it: The Muppet Show is coming to Disney+!

We’re pretty excited about it. It’s all we can talk about at Tough Pigs headquarters these days. That led us to this question: What are the ten best episodes of The Muppet Show?

To answer this question, we started by having each of our contributors make their own top ten list. Then our own Louie Pearlman compiled all those lists, and used a very scientific process, in which he tabulated the number of votes received by each episode, accounted for the ranking on each list, weighed them using a complex algorithm, and then… um… well, it was very scientific, and we ended up with a final, collective top ten list. Then we each chose an episode to write about.

Feel free to use this as a guide to which episodes to watch first when the show arrives on Disney+ (in just FOUR days!). And for now, let’s count it down, starting with number ten!

price4.jpg

10. Vincent Price (Season One, Episode 19)

Anthony Strand: The first season of The Muppet Show is famously a work-in-progress. (Indeed, there’s only one other show from season one on this list.) But it’s still a fascinating document, because you can watch the series slowly become the show we know and love. This episode is a huge leap forward. The previous 18 episodes were very scattershot, but here the whole show has a unified Halloween vibe. 

This feels like a big moment for the show, which would return to theme episodes many times over the next four years. Additionally, Price is game for anything, from a haunted house sketch to a Carole King cover. Okay, both of those sketches co-star Uncle Deadly, so Price isn’t exactly stretching outside of his comfort zone. Still, it’s all delightful. Make time for it this October (or before! Why not?)

See the rest of the list here. 

as i typed in earlier posts, the star wars  episode was akin to the holiday special, rest of the list is quite agreeable, plenty more watching to be had

Awesome! I was going to say Harry Belafonte was my favorite,  and it's number 1! 

But I'll have to rewatch them all to see what my top 10 are...