Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

At Investor's Meeting, Disney Unveils Wealth Of New Offerings From Star Wars & More

While the Disney parks took a major blow to the tune of a $6.9 billion dollar loss this year, The Walt Disney Company is looking to its television and movie offerings to strengthen the company in the coming years. 

At a four hour meeting for investors on December 10th, Disney unveiled future plans including for the company's streaming service, Disney+, which has accrued 88 million subscribers as of December 2, 2020. Disney expects that number to increase to between 230 million and 260 milluion subscribers by the year 2024. 

Disney announced the following upcoming releases for the Star Wars franchise:

Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic and Star Wars: Ahsoka will allow the story of The Mandalorian to be more fully explored. Rosario Dawson has been confirmed to star as Jedi Ahsoka Tano.

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 10.21.36 AM.png

In 2022, Andor will debut, starring Deigo Luna as Cassian Andor from Rogue One.

Obi-Wan Kenobi will star Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan and Hayden Christensen as Darth Vader, and debut on Disney+ in 2022. The original series takes place 10 years after the events of Revenge of the Sith.

Star Wars: The Bad Batch will feature a group of Stormtroopers that debuted in season seven of The Clone Wars.

Lando Calrissian is getting his own series, Lando, that has started pre-production.

The Acolyte series is going to be set in The High Republic era. The mystery-thriller will take viewers into the galaxy of the secrets of the dark side powers in the final days of the High Republic.

In addition tho these and more projects for the Star Wars franchise, Disney also announce a wealth of other upcoming projects including several series based on the Marvel comics, a Willow original series starring Warwick Davis, the final installment in the Indiana Jones series, and much, much more. 

This is nothing short of awesome. That is, so long as they don't see it as a cash grabbing, marketing extravaganza and lose focus of what's making Disney+ successful. 

There's only one, maybe two Star Wars offering I'm not overly excited about. But the remainder more than make up for it. 

They need to just hand the keys to the galaxy to John Favreau and Dave Filoni. What those guys did with The Mandalorian" is some seriously next level stuff. It's a good thing there's other series coming, because Christmas 2021 is a long way off. I have no delusions that everything will be grand slam home runs like The Mandalorian, but they'll be worth the price of Disney+ if they're half as good. 

And speaking of awesome, that season finale last night... O.M.G. I have never reacted to a tv show or movie like that in my life. I was still recovering this morning. Actually, "awesome" isn't even remotely enough to describe it.

• Like 1

I loved the finally and (SPOILER ALERT Below)

Spoiler

I guessed who it was when I saw the X-Wing, but when I saw I gloved hand, I knew my guess was right.  

I just went down the Youtube rabbit hole and saw this. If nothing else, it shows I was not the only one who reacted to it this way.

Now, if you haven't seen the season 2 finale, you DO NOT WANT TO WATCH THIS!!! Mega-spoilers abound, you have been warned!

Spoiler

Seriously, last warning. 

Spoiler