TTL News

Twin Tiers Craft Beer Review

This will be an open thread for everyone to talk about the latest craft beer they've had at one of the many breweries here in the region. 

Tell us where you went, what you ordered, and what you liked about their brew!

Lake Life IPA by Grist Iron Brewing

6.7 ABV - 70 IBU

"An American IPA that drinks as easy as a summer day. Bright and laid back, this refreshing brew gives you a Citra quench of mango and grapefruit with a clean, balanced hop finish. So go ahead. Crank up your favorite song, kick back your heels, and enjoy whenever you need an escape to the lake."

There was a time when brewers seemed to be trying to outdo each other as to who could have the "hoppiest" beer, which turned me off of IPA's from the start. However, there's a few I enjoy, and this is definitely one of them. 

Even though it's a little north of the Twin Tiers area we cover, I can't help but mention Ithaca Beer Co. 

Every year my in-law's buy me a six pack from them and so far they're 3/3 on picking a good one. 

Their first pick was the Cascazilla and I don't recall a whole lot about it other than it was pretty good., and appropriate for colder weather when you don't want something too heavy.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.58.28 AM.png

Last year it was the Flower Power which was also pretty good. I recall this one being pretty good tasting and very aromatic. Another one I'd buy and drink anytime, especially good for warmer weather.   

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.59.43 AM.png

The Brew York pale ale is pretty good, although maybe a little too light for me. Nonetheless, it's an enjoyable beer with strong, hoppy flavor but not too strong, if that makes sense. ( Sorry, you won't get a lot of beer snob terminology from me. )

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.02.34 AM.png

I forgot all about their Apricot Wheat until I was looking at their site! This is a good one that was served at a cousin's wedding and lives up to its name. A nice aroma and a light, fruity taste without being too over the top. A GREAT Summer time beer. 

All four of these beers are available year round and found in most places that carry craft beers. I recommend all of them. 

I’ll give a thumbs up on the Apricot Ale ! I never thought ( back in the day ) that using fruits to base a beer would be other than a fad , but now  there are so many that its here to stay ... and I’m on board ! 

Edited by Hal

From my recent visit to Wellsboro House in order I drank them:

Stumbling Monks Belgian Style Ale 

As they say on the website, "No trip to the Monastery needed to enjoy this golden Belgian Style Ale." Clean, just the right amount of hops, and went really well with the entree of bangers and mashed potatoes. 7.5% ABV I believe. 

Scotch Ale

I'm not the world's best judge of Scotch Ales, but this one was a keeper. Dark, but not too heavy. I would have stuck with this but someone recommended the...

Quadzilla Belgian Style Ale

It's a pretty red colored ale, but at 10% ABV this is one red head that you do NOT want to mess with. Should have a warning saying "Don't make any f--king plans." I'll only have one or two, and then tap out. In all seriousness though, it's a smooth, delicious beer but take it slow. 

I also picked up a 6 pack of their "Wynken, Blynken, And Nod Out IPA" but haven't cracked one open yet. 

• Haha 1

A couple of local friends have a Youtube channel called Weird Beers and Cheers where they review mostly local brews. 

I was chatting via text with Steve Shaw recently and it occurred to me, I should pick up another 6-pack of Briggs Cream Ale now that the weather it warming up. There's something about it that's refreshing, especially when it's good and cold, after working outdoors. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 8.08.43 PM.png

On 3/15/2021 at 5:28 PM, Chris said:

I also picked up a 6 pack of their "Wynken, Blynken, And Nod Out IPA" but haven't cracked one open yet. 

I'm sad to report I found a beer I didn't really care for, though I don't think it's the fault of the brewers. 

This is a serious "English Style" IPA. Admittedly, I'm not too knowledgable about what makes it English style, but I found it to be way too bitter for me to enjoy. Additionally, it's a pain in the ass to pour, as once I cracked open the can it poured out with a HUGE head, which took a while to settle down. Thinking it was just me, I took this for my buddy's to try. They also had the same issue with the foam, and only one of them could finish it. 

I think this is one of those things that appeals to a certain palate, and that's okay. So while I didn't enjoy it, I also don't feel I know enough about it to say it's not good. 

I had another pint of Horsheads' Blueberry Ale the other night and once again, I was underwhelmed. 

It's the same color, and there's a slight bluish tint to the head. But I could discern no actual blueberry flavor or smell and I wasn't the only one. 

As an ale goes, it's not bad, but knowing what it used to taste like, I am still disappointed in it. If I'm looking for a blueberry beer, I'll stick to Saranac, which has been consistently good.