Sign in to follow this  
Twin Tiers Living

Candor Mayor Arrested, Accused Of Stealing $23,000

On Monday, New York State Police at Owego Bureau of Criminal Investigation arrested 67 year old Eric C. Halstead of Candor for the class “C” felony of Corrupting the Government in the second degree and the class “D” felony of Grand Larceny in the third degree.

New York State Police say this investigation was in concert with the Office of the New York State Comptroller.

Police say the investigation revealed that over several years while Halstead held office as Mayor of the Village of Candor, he withdrew over $23-thousand dollars in cash from a Village account for personal use. Over time, Halstead replaced approximately $19-thousand dollars but still owes money to the Village of Candor.

Halstead was arrested and transported to the Tioga County Correctional Facility for Arraignment.  He was released on his own recognizance and scheduled to appear in the Candor Town Court on August 5, 2024. 

1 hour ago, Twin Tiers Living said:

Over time, Halstead replaced approximately $19-thousand dollars but still owes money to the Village of Candor.

Well, ya gotta give him some credit there I guess. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chris said:

Well, ya gotta give him some credit there I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Kind of weird.

That almost sounds like it could be a gambling addiction where he told himself he was "borrowing" and planned on paying it all back once he hit the big one.

More about the investigation:

Halstead was the mayor of Candor in Tioga County for 12 years. He is accused of stealing over $23,500 from the village general fund, and resigned shortly after the arrest.

Nelson Sheingold, chief legal officer for the state comptroller's office, heads the New York state comptroller’s Division of Investigations. Sheingold said in the spring of 2023, the comptroller’s office was contacted by an accounting firm Candor had hired to do its annual financial reports. The firm said they’d noticed strange withdrawals from the village fund.

The comptroller’s office began investigating and found Halstead had allegedly made at least 77 withdrawals from the fund over five years, starting in 2017. Sheingold said village officials, at the mayor’s direction, recorded the withdrawals as "mayor’s discretionary".

“I've been doing this nearly 30 years. That's a novel one to me,” Sheingold said. "Which once again begs the concept, the absurd concept I would say, of why the mayor has a debit card for the village general fund to begin with.”

Source