TTL News

Elmira Will Publicly Name Landlords With Code Violations

This month, the city of Elmira will begin publicly sharing the names of rental property owners with code violations in an effort to address dilapidated properties and protect tenants.

The legislation, which passed the Elmira City Council in April, requires the city to release a monthly list of landlords with rental properties that are not properly registered and inspected, or have outstanding municipal code violations and are in disrepair. The list will be placed on official city websites, social media channels and in newsletters.

“This is both a justice issue, that is to say a quality of life issue, it is also a fiscal issue,” council member Gary Brinn who represents the city’s Fourth District and co-sponsored the legislation. “As the city's housing continues to deteriorate and the population shrinks, the tax burden falls on a smaller and smaller number of taxpayers every single year.”

Brinn said improving the housing stock is important to attracting new residents and building the taxbase. Properties can be removed from the list if violations are fixed before the next month’s listing is released.

Additionally, the legislation states property owners with ongoing, uncorrected violations, or violations that lead to tenants being forced to leave through no fault of their own, will remain on the public list for at least a year with no option for removal.

Read more here.

I don’t understand the point of this?

If there is a significant number of properties (whether rentals or owner occupied) with “outstanding municipal code violations and are in disrepair”.....then shouldn’t the City Council work on identifying and resolving whatever shortcomings among City officials are resulting in their failure to enforce the codes that are set forth?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MsKreed said:

If there is a significant number of properties (whether rentals or owner occupied) with “outstanding municipal code violations and are in disrepair”.....then shouldn’t the City Council work on identifying and resolving whatever shortcomings among City officials are resulting in their failure to enforce the codes that are set forth?

That doesnt give a warm fuzzy feeling I guess?

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

That doesnt give a warm fuzzy feeling I guess?

LOL.  There was an interview with some local landlords a week or so ago.  They both said they would sue.  To me that means they have outstanding violations and have failed to address them, otherwise what do you have to sue for?  They also blamed their tenants and I'm sure there is likely some truth to that too.

The majority are not local and many hide behind LLC or Corp names so they pay the fines and do nothing or they ignore the fines because no one can actually find them.