Sign in to follow this  
MsKreed

Report: "Amazon’s 'Just Walk Out' Tech Relied On Low-Paid Indian Workers, Not AI"

Amazon's ‘Just Walk Out’ technology in Amazon Fresh stores relied on manual human labour, it was reported. The company introduced the system in 2018 using which people would enter a store, grab what they wanted to buy and leave without checking out as they would get receipts afterwards.

The Information reported that even though Amazon claimed that it used a host of cameras and sensors around the store to track what customers grabbed, hundreds of Indian workers were used by the company to track customers instead of relying completely on AI and technology.

What report claimed on Amazon's 'Just Walk Out' technology?

1.       The company used remote cashiers based in India to check what customers were buying and leaving stores with.

2.       These included over 1,000 workers in India, The Information reported, as the work of cashiers was outsourced to India.

3.       The company undercut local jobs and chose low paid workers in India.

4.       Amazon has decided to do away with the Just Walk Out technology from its Amazon Fresh stores and said that it was getting to be too time-consuming.

5.       The report claimed that outsourced workers in India took hours to compile the data they tracked which was then used to generate receipts that customers would receive much later.

Read More HERE

• Like 1

Makes you wonder how much emerging tech is more old school than they'd have us believe.

image.png.ee3f2b6a09386d8b015aa21646e4b108.png

• Like 2

I think sometimes there comes a point where we need to accept the technology we have is sufficient. This is one of them. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

# 1 the hell with that ! I mean it’s bad enough to get calls from Mumbai Walter about Windows or Medicare but to have someone in India watching my every move while shopping and what what I’m scratching… 

# 2 Shame on Amazon for outsourcing! I know that other companies do this . In fact a local fire hydrant mfg where i was employed moved a portion of business to China back in the 80s to save money , guess how that turned out . 
I wonder where Amazon has its largest share of sales , hmmm .

Edited by Hal