Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Multiple People Injured After Shooting Near Kansas City Chiefs Parade

KANSAS CITY (AP) — Minutes after Kansas City Chiefs players vowed to go for a third-straight Super Bowl title Wednesday, shots were fired and multiple people near the parade route were carried away on stretchers. 

Fire Department Battalion Chief Michael Hopkins said eight to 10 people were injured but declined further comment, saying only that additional information will be released soon.

Police said in a news release that two people were detained. Fans were urged to exit the area as quickly as possible. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 3.41.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 3.41.47 PM.png

Source

Some of the raw footage I’ve seen on Twitter, caught by people on the ground, is insane.

Not as insane as the state of this nation, but still…

Kansas City shooting survivor Jacob Gooch, Sr., who was shot in the ankle, told "CBS Mornings" on Thursday that he overheard an altercation prior to the mass shooting following a parade and rally for the Super Bowl champions Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday. 

Gooch told CBS' Gayle King that before gunfire started, he heard a woman tell a presumed shooter, "don’t do it, not here; this is stupid."

Gooch said his wife and daughter then saw a gun being drawn. 

“My daughter said that some lady was like holding him back, and people had started backing up, and then he pulled it out and just started shooting and spinning in a circle,” he told King. 

Gooch said he, his wife and his son were all shot. He told CBS his wife was shot in the calf, while Gooch was shot in the ankle and sustained breaks to a few metatarsal bones in his foot. Gooch did not specify his son’s injuries or provide an update on his son’s medical status.

Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman Trey Smith took cover like so many other bystanders when gunfire erupted after a Super Bowl celebration Wednesday, leaving one dead and more than 20 injured, but he helped calm frightened people trying to escape the danger, including children.

Smith told ABC that a security guard ushered them away when the shooting started, and he realized, "'OK, this is not a joke. It's the life-and-death-type situation.'"

Smith said he found shelter in a closet and guided others to safety.

"Right before I run in there, there's like a little kid in front of me, so I just grabbed him — just yanked him — (and) was telling him, ‘You're hopping in here with me, buddy,’ so I don't know how many people that were in the closet. Maybe 20-plus?"

Smith said Kansas City Chiefs long snapper James Winchester was also “very instrumental in helping keep people calm.”

After authorities cleared them to leave the closet, they walked to the team buses, which quickly filled with the frightened bystanders.

Smith, who had been carrying a World Wrestling Entertainment championship belt as a prop through the Super Bowl parade, noticed a small boy who he said was panicked.

“I just handed him the belt," Smith said, telling the boy, "'Hey, buddy, you're the champion. No one's gonna hurt you. No one's gonna hurt you, man. We got your back.'" 

See these and other updates about this incident here.

Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas accused Missouri Gov. Mike Parson of using a racial “dog whistle” when referring to the suspected shooters at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl paradeas “thugs.”

Lucas made the comment during an appearance on local radio show “Up to Date” on Friday. He told KCUR host Steve Kraske that he has seen similar incidents of alleged racism “time and again.”

Following the shooting, Parson had said, “We can’t let some thugs just take over and ruin what happened.”

“I have respect for the governor. We get along well,” Lucas told Kraske. “I disagree strongly with how he would describe that situation. I certainly do think this was criminal activity. It was lawlessness, and I think that that’s troubling. But ‘thugs’ is a dog whistle in the most classic sense.”

Source

First of all......Mayor Lucas's initial reaction (while victims were still being triaged) was to beat the "gun violence" drum on cue.  So, I guess it's not surprising that he'd take issue with any phrasing that blames the criminals instead of the inanimate object. 

Secondly....I'm trying to figure out when someone decided that "thug" is supposedly a reference to someone of color.  The term has been in pop culture and mainstream vernacular since the 1920s to describe any criminal that uses threats of physical force, etc. 

It referred to organized Crime figures during Prohibition......like Lucky Luciano, Bugsy Siegel and Al Capone. And were depicted as white guys to the point of being a frickin' cliche "in the most classic sense" :

image.png.89e2375de1c62211da41ddecd48da51c.png