Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Expert Says Broome County DA's Facebook Page Could Violate 1st Amendment

BINGHAMTON (WBNG) -- Some residents have raised concerns about newly sworn-in Broome County District Attorney Paul Battisti. Specifically, they are concerned about his Facebook page and claim their comments are being monitored or deleted.

12 News learned of the possible censorship on the page, which is named, “Broome County District Attorney’s Office” through messages from viewers.

For constituents like Binghamton resident Kenny Brown, it’s supposed to be a platform where they can have their voices heard.

“Silencing anyone isn’t beneficial to progress or conversation,” said Brown. “I understand that he has the right to if he wants to, but at the same time, there are many public officials from both parties that have kept their comments open when facing dissent.”

Senior Policy Counsel for the NYCLU Justin Harrison told 12 News that on a government-run social media account, censoring comments may potentially be a violation of the First Amendment.

“If it’s a government account being operated by a public official in their official capacity, then it’s a First Amendment violation for them to either kick off users, delete posts, suppress posts -- generally based on the viewpoint of those posters,” said Harrison.

See the rest here.

This was sent to me over the weekend, with "Does this look familiar?" added. 

Note to local politicians ( because I know you stop by ) - You CANNOT ban or block someone from your official page, nor can you delete their comments. If you are using it in an official capacity, it is considered a public forum. To do so is a clear violation of the citizen's 1st Amendment right.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris said:

You CANNOT ban or block someone from your official page, nor can you delete their comments.

the relevant Superstar sees this and scoffs; hes the people's champion and until hes told to stop....hell just crusa....i mean campaign on it