Sign in to follow this  
Twin Tiers Living

Celebrity Obits 2024

Bernard Hill died early on Sunday morning, his agent Lou Coulson confirmed. No cause has been given.

He played Captain Edward Smith in the 1997 Oscar-winning film Titanic, and King Théoden in the Lord of the Rings.

His breakout role was in BBC TV drama Boys from the Blackstuff, where he portrayed Yosser Hughes, a character who struggled – and often failed – to cope with unemployment in Liverpool.

Hill will be seen in series two of The Responder, a BBC drama starring Martin Freeman, which begins airing on Sunday.

Other roles included the 1976 BBC TV series I, Claudius, an appearance in 1982’s Gandhi, True Crime (1999), and A Midsummer Night’s Dream (1999). The Scorpion King in 2002 and the 2008 Tom Cruise film Valkyrie.

Source

NEW YORK (AP) — Dabney Coleman, the mustachioed character actor who specialized in smarmy villains like the chauvinist boss in “9 to 5" and the nasty TV director in “Tootsie,” has died. He was 92.

Coleman died Thursday at his home in Santa Monica, his daughter, Quincy Coleman, said in a statement to The Associated Press. She said he “took his last earthly breath peacefully and exquisitely.”

Source

CNN — Alice Stewart, a veteran political adviser and CNN political commentator who worked on several GOP presidential campaigns, has died. She was 58.

Law enforcement officials told CNN that Stewart’s body was found outdoors in the Bellevue neighborhood in northern Virginia early Saturday morning. No foul play is suspected, and officers believe a medical emergency occurred.

Source

Morgan Spurlock, best known for his documentary “Super Size Me” has died from complications of cancer. He was 53.

Richard M. Sherman, the Academy Award-winning composer who was part of a songwriting team with his late brother, Robert, has died due to age-related illness at 95. The Sherman brothers wrote the scores for two dozen films, many for Disney — among them, Mary Poppins (for which they won two Oscars), The Jungle Book and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Source

Doug Ingle, who co-founded the heavy rock band Iron Butterfly and was the singer and organist on songs including their signature hit, “In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida,” died Friday at age 78. He was the last surviving member of the classic lineup from the late 1960s.

Most of Iron Butterfly’s success came with the 17-minute FM radio smash “In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida.” The 1968 sophomore album named after the hit single spent 81 weeks in the top 10 in the U.S.; for a while it stood as the bestselling album in Atlantic Records’ history. The LP went on to be certified quadruple-platinum.

Ingle’s family announced the passing on social media and did not give a cause of death.

Source

On 2/26/2024 at 7:00 PM, Chris said:

I had no real idea who this guy is or, uh, was. But apparently a lot of people on social media do because they were lining up to piss on his grave.

Im still not sure why. 

Because he was wealthy (offense #1), Jewish (offense #2), and his idea of philanthropy did not include supporting oppressed victims of genocide (offense #3), I guess?

I think if you get involved enough, do enough, or are successful enough, I guess it comes with the territory. I don’t know.

Tom Bower, a character actor known for his work on such TV series as The Waltons and in films including Die Hard 2, died May 30 at 86.

His manager, Marsha McManus, confirmed the news to Entertainment Weekly. A cause of death was not disclosed.

A busy performer with hundreds of credits, Bower rose to fame with his recurring role on The Waltons as Dr. Curtis Willard, becoming a series regular on the show's fifth season in 1975. His character replaced Victor Izay's Dr. Vance on Walton Mountain, and then hired Mary Ellen Walton (Judy Norton) to be his nurse. Eventually, Dr. Willard and Mary Ellen married and had a son. Bower was written off the show in 1978, which he linked to his request for a salary bump.

Source

Willie Mays, whose unmatched collection of skills made him the greatest center fielder who ever lived, died Tuesday afternoon in the Bay Area. He was 93.

"My father has passed away peacefully and among loved ones," Michael Mays said in a statement released by the San Francisco Giants. "I want to thank you all from the bottom of my broken heart for the unwavering love you have shown him over the years. You have been his life's blood."

The "Say Hey Kid" left an indelible mark on the sport, with his name a constant throughout baseball's hallowed record book and his defensive prowess -- epitomized by "The Catch" in Game 1 of the 1954 World Series -- second to none.

Source

CNN — Bill Cobbs, a veteran Hollywood actor known for roles in “Demolition Man,” “That Thing You Do!” and “Air Bud,” among many others, has died, according to a family member. He was 90.

The news was confirmed by Cobbs’ brother Thomas Cobbs, who wrote on Facebook that the actor died on Tuesday “peacefully at his home in California.”

“A beloved partner, big brother, uncle, surrogate parent, godfather and friend, Bill recently and happily celebrated his 90th birthday surrounded by cherished loved ones,” the post continued.

Source

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Singer, songwriter, satirist and novelist Kinky Friedman, who led the alt-country band Texas Jewboys, toured with Bob Dylan, sang with Willie Nelson, and dabbled in politics with campaigns for Texas governor and other statewide offices, has died.

Friedman, 79, died Thursday at his family’s Texas ranch near San Antonio, close friend Kent Perkins told The Associated Press. Friedman had suffered from Parkinson’s disease for several years, Perkins said.

“He died peacefully. He smoked a cigar, went to bed and never woke up,” said Perkins...

Source

Martin Mull, the comic musician and actor who started with 1970s TV series “Fernwood 2 Night” and went on to appear as Colonel Mustard in “Clue” and on “Arrested Development” and “Roseanne,” died Thursday in Los Angeles. He was 80.

His daughter Maggie announced his death on Instagram, writing “I am heartbroken to share that my father passed away at home on June 27th, after a valiant fight against a long illness. He was known for excelling at every creative discipline imaginable and also for doing Red Roof Inn commercials. He would find that joke funny. He was never not funny. My dad will be deeply missed by his wife and daughter, by his friends and coworkers, by fellow artists and comedians and musicians, and—the sign of a truly exceptional person—by many, many dogs. I loved him tremendously.”

Source

Joe Bonsall, Grammy award winner and celebrated tenor of the country and gospel group the Oak Ridge Boys, died Tuesday. He was 76.

Bonsall died from complications of the neuromuscular disorder Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, according to a statement from representatives of his family.

“Joe loved to sing. He loved to read. He loved to write,” the statement read. “He loved to play banjo. He loved working on the farm. And he loved the Philadelphia Phillies. But Jesus and his family always came first — and we will see him again on the Promised Day.”

Source

That’s too bad, I didn’t even realize Bonsall wasn't touring until I saw the new guy and wondered why he was there. 

• Like 1

Shelley Duvall, the intrepid, Texas-born movie star whose wide-eyed, winsome presence was a mainstay in the films of Robert Altman and who co-starred in Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shining,” has died. She was 75. 

Duvall died Thursday in her sleep at her home in Blanco, Texas, her longtime partner, Dan Gilroy, announced. The cause was complications of diabetes, said her friend, the publicist Gary Springer. 

“My dear, sweet, wonderful life, partner, and friend left us last night,” Gilroy said in a statement. “Too much suffering lately, now she’s free. Fly away beautiful Shelley.”

Source

NEW YORK (AP) — Richard Simmons, television’s hyperactive court jester of physical fitness who built a mini-empire in his trademark tank tops and short shorts by urging the overweight to exercise and eat better, died Saturday. He turned 76 on Friday. 

Simmons died at his home in Los Angeles, his publicist Tom Estey said in an email to The Associated Press. He gave no further details.

Source

• Sad 1

NEW YORK (AP) — Dr. Ruth Westheimer, the diminutive sex therapist who became a pop icon, media star and best-selling author through her frank talk about once-taboo bedroom topics, has died. She was 96.

Westheimer died on Friday at her home in New York City, surrounded by her family, according to publicist and friend Pierre Lehu.

Source

• Sad 1

Shannen Doherty, a child actor who graduated into one of the biggest stars of the ‘90s as a student on the high school drama “Beverly Hills, 90210,” died Saturday after facing breast cancer for several years.

“It is with a heavy heart that I confirm the passing of actress Shannen Doherty. On Saturday, July 13, she lost her battle with cancer after many years of fighting the disease,” said Doherty’s publicist Leslie Sloane.

She was 53.

Source

It was a bad week for the 80's stars, for sure.