Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

A New Documentary Examines The "Star Wars Holiday Special" And Asks, "Why?"

Because it's never been officially released on home video or re-aired, the holiday special became a treasure to superfans, copied and shared on VHS tapes. A new documentary called A Disturbance in the Force looks back on how the special happened, especially under the watchful eye of the notoriously particular George Lucas.

It finds one answer in a delightful examination of the ubiquitous '70s variety show format. If you think the holiday special is bizarre, wait until you see the Star Wars segment on Donny & Marie. Or clips from Wayne Newton's special at SeaWorld, with guest star Shamu.

But the closest thing to a reason for the special has to do with the period between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. Lucas and his associates wanted to make sure the fans didn't lose interest between movies, and a holiday special could get kids excited about Star Wars toys for Christmas.

Read more here.

Lucas claims he had no part in its making, but I recall reading something that said he actually did but walked away from it at the last minute. My guess is because he knew what a steaming pile of crap it was.

I love Star Wars, and I always will. But man, this is bad.

Funny enough, I actually have a vague memory of seeing it when I was really little. But I’d have been four, so I don’t know that it was the original broadcast I saw. However it was only shown once. Who knows.

16 hours ago, Chris said:

Lucas claims he had no part in its making, but I recall reading something that said he actually did but walked away from it at the last minute. My guess is because he knew what a steaming pile of crap it was.

I love Star Wars, and I always will. But man, this is bad.

Funny enough, I actually have a vague memory of seeing it when I was really little. But I’d have been four, so I don’t know that it was the original broadcast I saw. However it was only shown once. Who knows.

It was the original broadcast.  We weren’t impressed but you guys seemed to enjoy the show.

It’s amazing I’d remember that, being so young at the time.