TTL News

Clemens Center Parkway: Unsafe Pedestrians, Unsafe Drivers, Or Both?

Another person was hit by a car last night on Clemens Center Parkway. ( Read the report here. )

In light of the many car vs pedestrian crashes that have happened on this stretch of roadway, some are putting the blame on cars driving too fast. Others say it's unsafe pedestrian behavior. Others say there needs to be changes made to the parkway, better lighting, stoplight cameras, etc. 

What do you think? Is it the drivers, the pedestrians? Do you think there needs to be changes to the parkway or to how people are using it? 

Its both I'm sure but I seem to have the worst luck on Clemens with pedestrians.  I have had bikes blow right through intersections with out slowing down. 

People walk into the intersection right as their light turns yellow but they keep right on walking. 

If you are coming up to a light and it's green you are not necessarily going to be searching for a pedestrian lollygagging across the intersection from the opposite side. At night they are hard to see anyway.

It's definitely a mix of both. 

Drivers on that stretch, particularly between Church St and Grand Central go like a bat out of hell. Just yesterday I was doing in the neighborhood of 40 ( maybe 1-2 over, I'll admit ) and someone came blasting up on my right, swerved over in front of me to get into the left turning lane. Where she waited at the same red light I pulled up to shortly after. Drivers are doing 50-55 through there all day long, and there's no speed enforcement. Also, people seem to think the left is a "passing lane". It isn't. They put two lanes in there for better flow of heavier traffic. Not so people could bob and weave in and out like they're on I-86

Pedestrians and cyclists in Elmira? They're plain suicidal. I see them all the time, riding their bikes out across the parkway, against the light, against traffic, without a care in the world. And pedestrians all over the city like to wear the darkest colors they can find and pop up everywhere in front of vehicles. It's gotten to the point I HATE driving in the city limits when it's dark. Every intersection could be the one where you hear and feel that "thump". Then it's instant guilt in the court of public opinion and another cross with flowers and balloons popping up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Pedestrians and cyclists in Elmira? They're plain suicidal. I see them all the time, riding their bikes out across the parkway, against the light, against traffic, without a care in the world. And pedestrians all over the city like to wear the darkest colors they can find and pop up everywhere in front of vehicles. It's gotten to the point I HATE driving in the city limits when it's dark. Every intersection could be the one where you hear and feel that "thump". Then it's instant guilt in the court of public opinion and another cross with flowers and balloons popping up.

Not to mention the personal injury lawsuit aspect.  I’ve had pedestrians and cyclists look right at me as if daring me to hit them.

So, coincidentally, I had an appointment on the Southside this evening and by the time I left it was pitch dark.

It's not the lack of light, it's too much.  The overhead lights present a ridiculous glare.  I could not wait to hit the highway where I could see.  All those folks asking for more lights are nuts.  

The folks with those really bright whatever they are lights?  Ridiculous.  Had one behind me on E Franklin who kept the high beams on all the time, even with cars coming the other way (asshat).  I flipped my mirror but my interior was still lit up like daylight making it very hard to see.

There’s been several crashes on the corner of Clemens and Water the past week and I see people saying on social media something should be done.

Do what? Here’s an idea: Pay attention when driving. Put the damned phone down. Stop running red lights because you’re in a hurry. Or be more careful turning left on to Water ( always a fun time ).

It’s operator error, not road conditions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris said:

There’s been several crashes on the corner of Clemens and Water the past week and I see people saying on social media something should be done.

Do what? Here’s an idea: Pay attention when driving. Put the damned phone down. Stop running red lights because you’re in a hurry. Or be more careful turning left on to Water ( always a fun time ).

It’s operator error, not road conditions.

Absolutely!   Always someone else's fault.

I did read on comment about putting a LEO there all the time.  LOL. 

Just this morning I watched a truck going west on Water just sail on through the red light at that very intersection. One of two people I watched run a stoplight today.