TTL News

Elmira Named "Worst Small City In Upstate New York

According to the Hudson Post, a study done by WalletHub.com has named Elmira as the worst small city in Upstate New York to live in. 

According to the website, the study was done based on factors such as affordability, economic health, education, safety, and quality of life. Each of those factors could be awarded a total of twenty points each. Cities across the U.S. were then ranked based on their total score. 

Elmira Mayor Dan Mandell took exception to this report according to WETM news, citing recent developments such as the LECOM campus in Downtown Elmira. Mandell also said that crime statistics depend on what type of crime it is adding telling the news station is is mostly target based crime “Bad guys going after bad guys.” 

What do you think of this report and do you agree or disagree with it? Do you agree or disagree with Mayor Mandell?

Would I say “worst”? Certainly not. I would agree it’s pretty bad though. And not even in comparison to the “Queen City” Golden Years, I’d just look at now vs 20-30 years ago and Elmira has declined.

Of course anyone whose income is derived from the city government or who sees it as an investment opportunity would disagree. Even if it were burning down around them when asked.

• Like 3

Elmira is not that bad and has a lot of nice features I feel that people don't appreciate. I have walked the streets of Elmira at night plenty of times and feel pretty safe (Granted I know for the most part where to avoid) It has so much beauty in the area with the hills. The Harris Hill view is one of my favorites by far. Has some great restaurants and bars (Downtown Grind, Siam Elephants, Barbs Soups On, Patricks) and Clemens Center.

Saying that, Elmira is not close to perfect. Not much to do downtown, First Arena is such a dysfunctional mess and half the time when they have events going on, still no actual shops outside of more dollar stores and nothing has been done with Clemens Square since they put all that money into it. The parking garage has gone downhill a lot. Homeless living in there nonstop over the summer ruining any momentum they might of made. The Southside has really gone down hill. The Tops plaza looks so rundown since they left. It feels dirty to go over there. There's probably a lot more that i'm missing but I can't think of it off the top of my head. 

Edited by LocalSportsGuy

Whenever I see lists and rankings like this.....I question the authors' perception and perspective on the "criteria" that they consider relevant. 

WalletHub compared more than 1,300 U.S. cities with populations between 25,000 and 100,000 based on 45 key indicators of livability. They range from housing costs to school-system quality to restaurants per capita.

While I agree with @LocalSportsGuy that Elmira is not close to perfect.....I also find it far more tolerable than Ithaca, which this "study" ranked much higher than Elmira. I can't see what they used to measure for vague categories like "Quality of Life"....and it's hard to fathom how "Affordability" somehow has an inverse relationship to "Economic Health".

image.png.098a9935acf7ccefabccc842737e5257.png

14 hours ago, MsKreed said:

I also find it far more tolerable than Ithaca,

As do I, if only based on the difference in traffic congestion. 

The disparate "rankings" (published within days of one another) is pretty amazing. 

A North Carolina-based home improvement company recently set out to find the best, most charming small cities across the United States.

All Star Home looked at several parameters that reflect a variety of quality of life issues.

Who is No. 1? Elmira, New York.

In fact, the top four cities in All Star Home's ranking are from New York state, including Corning at No. 2, Utica in the third spot, and Binghamton in fourth place. The other New York community to make the list was Watertown at No. 10.

Source

Well, a home improvement company certainly would have a bonanza in Elmira 🤣

• Haha 4