Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Watkins Glen & Corning Named In List of "Top 20 Places In Upstate NY To Visit"

Watkins Glen

Situated in the heart of Finger Lakes wine country, Watkins Glen is home to legendary auto-racing history at the Watkins Glen International racetrack, top-rated glamping and “New York’s best park.” 

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 10.30.46 AM.png

It’s easy to see why Watkins Glen State Park keeps making “best of” lists. With 2 miles of waterfall after waterfall and gigantic cliffs and deep gorges, this park packs the most bang for your waterfall buck.

While in town, make sure to raise a glass to the weekend at Castle Grisch or embark on a Seneca Lake wine tour and sample some of the best libations the area has to offer. Book yourself a luxury stay at campground Naturluxe & Stars, recently recognized as one of America’s top 10 chic glamping destinations.

Corning 

Corning, fondly nicknamed the Crystal City, sparkles with small-town charm. Housed along the Steuben River, Corning celebrates its long love affair with glass — including its role in creating the first light bulbs for Thomas Edison. The city’s sparkle has been widely praised, earning recognition as a Hallmark-worthy holiday and four-season town.

Take your time visiting the Corning Museum of Glass, where you can catch a live demo and even sandblast your own glass. Browse the unique shops in Corning’s Gaffer District and take a selfie in Corning’s Centerway Square, which was recently dubbed one of the best public squares in the nation. Then celebrate your adventures with a pint of locally brewed beer at Iron Flamingo Brewery.

See the other 18 here.

What do you think? Do you have a spot you think should have made the list? Have you been to these places and enjoyed them?

Ellicottville is a small village with mighty traveling appeal. Housed among the rolling Allegheny Plateau and along Great Valley Creek, it is home to two ski resorts, a picturesque arboretum and a host of great eateries and shops

I drove through there last August and if I wasn't on my way someplace already, I probably would have stopped to explore. It was the first time I'd been there and it seems like it has a really nice Main Street scene going on. Probably because it's seemingly out in the middle of nowhere. 

Saranac Lake is always nice, and last I knew there was a really good little Italian place there. 

The Wild Center in Tupper Lake was mentioned, and that's a must-see. We've been there a few times now. 

If you like to drink either place certainly has it. I think corning is vastly overrated though personally. I would bet a bazillion dollars that if corning Inc didn't exist that downtown would be a shell of what it is though they have a lot of restaurants. Corning and Elmira would be in reverse if one had the fortune 500 company and the other did not. Although one really wonders how long until corning maybe leaves corning behind and makes headquarters elsewhere. They already have moved a lot of their business to other places like China. 

Watkins Glen is just a pain in the ass in the summer months to go to, even if you have no intention of hitting up the lakes. Holiday weekends just to drive through are a disaster. But the downtown is not nearly as congested as corning. 

I'd hardly classify downtown Watkins Glen a "disaster". It's just busy and the locals know how to avoid it for the most part.