Karen

No-Excuse Absentee Voting

Hi All -- Have been meaning to pose this question for awhile--

If you voted "No" on Proposition 4 on the 2021 Ballot, why did you? 
Here's the Ballot measure, taken from https://www.elections.ny.gov/2021BallotProposals.html , but before you answer, please read  the information below the measure. 

BALLOT 4:  The proposed amendment would delete from the current provision on absentee ballots the requirement that an absentee voter must be unable to appear at the polls by reason of absence from the county or illness or physical disability. Shall the proposed amendment be approved?

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures ( https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/vopp-table-1-states-with-no-excuse-absentee-voting.aspx ) :
Twenty-six states and Washington, D.C., offer "no-excuse" absentee voting, which means that any voter can request and cast an absentee/mail ballot, no excuse or reason necessary.

Eight states conduct elections entirely by mail (California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Vermont and Washington), which means voters do not need to request a ballot, and instead automatically receive one.

Here's a link regarding security of Absentee voting:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mail-in-voting-cybersecurity-hackers-2020-elections/

in my mind: Voting locations are open from very early in the morning until quite late at night. there really is no excuse for those that work to not be able to stop before or after their shifts. there are organizations that transport those without means to polling places, and it is not like it should catch anyone by surprise as elections occur on same day every cycle... 99 of 100 times it will come down to sheer laziness or apathy that someone doesnt show up to cast a ballot

another reason is that with decreasing paper trails for ballots, lack of signature or ID verification it is becoming increasingly easy for those that are not supposed to legally vote to do so without much opportunity to discover it

the only ones absentee voting truly benefits are those holding office and wanting to stay there

• Like 3

In 2018, I was working at a job outside Albany. I was making a 4-hour commute either Sunday evening or leaving in the wee hours on Monday and returning Friday evening.  I wouldn't have been practical for me to take Mon and Tuesday (or make two round trips for the week).  So I opted for a mail-in ballot, even though for my 'peace of mind' I'd have been happier with a vote I could see being cast.  I would have really preferred if early voting had been available so I could vote in person on a day when I was in town. 

I had to state my reason, but was not required to provide any sort of verification.   Honestly, I think I may have been pretty frustrated if the BOE had demanded "proof" that I wouldn't be home on Tuesday (or of illness or disability, for that matter).  In that respect...., the question of providing a reason or excuse to obtain an absentee ballot sort of seems rhetorical to me.