Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Netflix Backs Chapelle Despite Criticism Over Trans Remarks

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A top Netflix executive said Dave Chappelle’s special “The Closer” doesn’t cross “the line on hate” and will remain on the streaming service despite fallout over the comedian’s remarks about the transgender community.

In an internal memo, co-CEO Ted Sarandos told managers that “some talent” may join third parties in calling for the show’s removal, adding, “which we are not going to do.”

Netflix declined comment on the memo, which was reported Monday by Variety.

But the company responded to news reports it had suspended three employees, including one, Terra Field, who’d criticized Chappelle’s special in tweets. Field identifies herself on Twitter as a senior software engineer at Netflix and as trans.

“It is absolutely untrue to say that we have suspended any employees for tweeting about this show. Our employees are encouraged to disagree openly and we support their right to do so,” Netflix said in a statement.

See the rest here.

Have you seen "The Closer"? Do you think Chapelle crossed a line with his views and remarks about the transgender community?

admittedly it wasnt as funny as the previous shows, that said, it was a bit more ...heavy...mixed with humor. really liked how he wove everything into an arc, ending with the suicide of the comic friend of his. not really sure i understand the "space Jews" bit though

13 hours ago, Adam said:

not really sure i understand the "space Jews" bit though

I don't remember the set up, but if I remember right it was just another group he was poking fun at. 

• Like 1

Last week, the Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington, D.C.—from which Chappelle graduated—called off a planned fundraiser over the widely criticized comments the comedian made in his latest Netflix special The Closer. The school initially announced a Nov. 23 fundraiser for a new theater that was set to carry Chappelle’s name.

According to a Politico report, many students were “uncomfortable” with supporting Chappelle. Some students reportedly talked about staging a walkout but the school eventually decided to cancel the fundraiser.

Source

I wonder if they have back the money as well. Maybe I missed that part if the article.

The Local DC news report that I saw says "postponed" instead of called off....evidently, they still want the money but only after giving the complainers are afforded "listening sessions".

Duke Ellington School of the Arts has moved the date for a fundraiser scheduled for Nov. 23. The event, now slated for April 22, will raise money for a theater set to be named after the comedian.

Chappelle graduated from the school and has been an influential supporter of their efforts for decades.

However, in a recent statement, the school said his work has created opportunities for the Ellington community to engage in listening sessions with students as a result of the criticized special.