Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Breaking The Cycle Of Poverty In Southern Tier And Upstate NY

Recently posted to Reddit:

Hi, all. I was born and raised in a rural county between Western and Central NY, infamous for being, well, poor. I have lived other places both in NY and in other states and recently settled back “home”. The one thing I cannot get over is the unbelievable poverty that I witness every day. In my county, there are entire towns that are completely dilapidated, with nearly every home falling into disrepair.

It’s easy to become numb to it, but I have days driving to work where I think “is no one seeing how bad this is?”. I grew up in a rundown neighborhood here, and yet I see it getting worse.

Sure, you’ll find this poverty in any US state, but it’s just so pervasive here, and with the lack of well-paying jobs, I don’t know how it gets any better. Is there any hope for Upstate?

This is a good topic for discussion, as it pertains to both the region and the state as a whole. What are your thoughts on this?

Not sure anyone here would care for my thoughts on this topic … but in this  particular area I don’t t see the majority of the problem mentioned as being the fault of poverty . I mean define poverty as it pertains to an area where there are more programs like welfare , EBT and Medicaid , Federal Grants for rehabilitation of homes or Catholic Charities . 
Or is it more a case of Laziness and a preference or propensity towards a slovenly lifestyle ?! 
Hereditary , maybe in some cases … ahh 🤔, the one case in this post I have proof positive! 

I have no doubt that the census data would say that poverty rates have increased over the years in Chemung County.

On the other hand.....I think there’s a good chance that the “visible signs” (decrepit conditions and disrepair) that the original post mentions is probably increasing faster than actual “poverty” (whatever the current official economic definition is).

Poverty (lack of income to meet the cost of living) does not necessarily create the shabbiness and squalor the author speaks of.

During the Great Depression, true poverty was much more widespread...and in often resulted in self-sufficiency and frugality. Imagine The Waltons...

Clothes were laundered, mended, patched and passed along. Homes, furniture and vehicles were maintained to prevent the need for repair....or worse yet replacement (which might take years to save for).

Without public assistance in its innumerable modern forms, it was an absolute necessity to maintain everything - almost obsessively. The value of material goods was appreciated because there was no EBT debit card getting reloaded monthly to toss stuff out and buy another.

• Like 4