Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

William Shatner, TV's Captain Kirk, Blasts Into Space

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 11.12.26 AM.png

VAN HORN, Texas (AP) — Hollywood’s Captain Kirk, 90-year-old William Shatner, blasted into space Wednesday in a convergence of science fiction and science reality, reaching the final frontier aboard a ship built by Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin company.

The “Star Trek” hero and three fellow passengers soared to an estimated 66 miles (106 kilometers) over the West Texas desert in the fully automated capsule and then safely parachuted to the desert floor in a flight that lasted just over 10 minutes.

Shatner became the oldest person in space, eclipsing the previous record — set by a passenger on a similar jaunt on a Bezos spaceship in July — by eight years.

“That was unlike anything they described,” Shatner said at the capsule descended toward Earth.

Sci-fi fans reveled in the opportunity to see the man best known as the stalwart Capt. James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise boldly go where no star of American TV has gone before.

Shatner said ahead of the countdown that he planned to spend his approximately three minutes of weightlessness gazing down at Earth, his nose pressed against the capsule’s windows.

“The only thing I don’t want to see is a little gremlin looking back at me,” he joked, referring to the plot of his 1963 “Twilight Zone” episode titled “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet.”

See the rest here. 

Good grief Bezos.

Theres Captain James Tiberius Kirk himself having a moment, describing the experience, and he ignores him to spray champagne.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the emotion and hearing his thoughts. 

3 hours ago, MsKreed said:

I kinda knew that Sulu had become a bitter old codger, but he needs to get a grip.

Yeah he went from being funny to just bitter and tiresome.

• Like 1