Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Wave of New Hobbies During Pandemic Mirrors Trend During The Great Depression

Hobbies experienced an unprecedented growth in public acceptance in the US during the Great Depression, according to Steven M. Gelber, who penned an essay for Oxford University Press called "A Job You Can't Lose: Work and Hobbies in the Great Depression."

"Municipalities, schools and businesses sponsored hobby clubs," Gelber wrote. "The media, including newspapers, magazines and radio, regularly focused on hobby activity. Several national organizations emerged to promote hobbies and the collecting activities of the president of the United States became a model for both children and adults."

Among the hobbies that emerged: stamp collecting, music making, woodworking and birdwatching.

The growth in hobbies during the Great Depression was in large part due to the staggering number of people out of work.

Even people who still had a job were often facing reduced hours, Mihm said, "so it was not only unemployment but underemployment that defined that particular decade."

Similar to the Great Depression, troves of Americans were left jobless after the pandemic shut down the US economy. Last spring, the US shed more than 22 million jobs. Many of these people have been able to go back to work as the economy gradually reopened, but the nation still remains down 9.5 million jobs compared to February last year.

Amid such disruptions to daily life, hobbies -- old and new -- served as a bright spot.

"It doesn't take a lot to keep yourself occupied with a newfound hobby, and that's what people discovered during the Depression as well," Mihm said. "They could do many different things to keep themselves occupied that really cost very little money."

These types of activities helped cure boredom and boost moods.

Hobbies and self-care are crucial during the coronavirus pandemic, clinical psychologist Dr. Jeff Gardere told CNN last year.

"In this time of uncertainty and instability, and a world and existence we no longer recognize, people need an anchor to familiarity and what once brought them comfort, stability, safety, and happiness," Gardere said.

The Mayo Clinic put hobbies on the list of self-care strategies to cope during the pandemic.

See the rest here.

What about you? Did you pick up a new hobby as a way to pass the time while everything was shut down?

Seems like I doubled down on my interest in vintage toys. I spent a lot of time enjoying online auctions, even if I wasn't bidding. 

The only 'new' hobby I seem to have picked up during this period of deviancy is research. I've become somewhat involved in spending some late morning or early afternoon periods in studying the effects of various body positions on nap quality, both before and after imbibition of good coffee, and some late evenings after consumption of a good meal and a bottle of good ale. I haven't put any findings to paper, as yet, but I've gained a great deal of knowledge on the subject.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nick said:

The only 'new' hobby I seem to have picked up during this period of deviancy is research. I've become somewhat involved in spending some late morning or early afternoon periods in studying the effects of various body positions on nap quality, both before and after imbibition of good coffee, and some late evenings after consumption of a good meal and a bottle of good ale. I haven't put any findings to paper, as yet, but I've gained a great deal of knowledge on the subject.

Something tells me your not alone in this particular research Nick ! As for myself , I have no hobbies , I have ... endeavors. 

1 hour ago, Hal said:

I have no hobbies , I have ... endeavors. 

Ahhh, endeavors. We have those sometimes too, a little before we sit down to dinner. Some endeavors can also be good with beer. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Nick
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Nick said:

Ahhh, endeavors. We have those sometimes too, a little before we sit down to dinner. Some endeavors can also be good with beer. :classic_biggrin:

Nope , no endeavors before dinner ... straight to the beer and chow ! 👍😉