TTL News

New York Bans Pet Stores From Selling Cats, Dogs & Rabbits

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York on Thursday became the latest state to ban the sale of cats, dogs and rabbits in pet stores in an attempt to target commercial breeding operations decried by critics as “puppy mills.” 

The new law, which was signed by Gov. Kathy Hochul and takes effect in 2024, lets pet shops work instead with shelters to offer rescued or abandoned animals up for adoption. It will also ban breeders from selling more than nine animals a year. 

“This is a very big deal. New York tends to be a big purchaser and profiteer of these mills, and we are trying to cut off the demand at a retail level,” said Sen. Michael Gianaris, a Democrat. 

He added that the puppy mill industry treats animals “like commodities” and said “there is no pet store not affected.” 

Pet shops have argued that the law will do nothing to shut down out-of-state breeders or increase their standards of care and said it would result in the closures of the dozens of pet stores remaining in New York.

Read the rest here.

I have absolutely no problem with this, especially since any reputable breeder wouldn't sell to a pet store in the first place. 

Emilio Ortiz, a manager at Citipups pet shop in New York City, said the new law could serve as a death sentence for the business he’s worked at for more than a decade.

“Ninety percent of our business is selling dogs. We’re not going to survive this,” said Ortiz, who considers the ban unfair to stores that work with responsible breeders. “They’re closing the good actors along with the bad actors.”

I took a look at Emilio's store, and their inventory. Here's just an example of what they sell, you be the judge of who is a good vs bad actor:

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 9.43.27 AM.png

42 minutes ago, Chris said:

I took a look at Emilio's store, and their inventory. Here's just an example of what they sell, you be the judge of who is a good vs bad actor:

Not being a fan of "designer breeds", I admit that I don't understand the demand that for the $2-4k prices these li'l guys bring. 

But I strongly suspect Emilio's prices reflect the costs of using reputable NYS breeders whose costs are higher that "pipelining" from the inhumane out of state puppy mills. His designers puppies are in range of those direct from NYS breeders like THIS one in Wayland NY

image.png.a34041f0f15e9ce2802a7cb73d23b683.png

While prohibiting pet stores from facilitating sales from those reputable breeders may save a few bucks in middle-man costs, limiting those breeders to nine pups a year will likely drive up demand/pricing.  Pet stores that go through reputable breeders take a cut, but they also incur costs of upkeep and transporting from the breeder.  

I'd think it would make more sense to just prohibit pet stores from using cheaper, less humane puppy/kitten/bunny mills across the country that comprise the "pipeline" this law is allegedly seeking to curb.  Only breeders in NYS who are licensed or certified to meet state standards, making breeder verification and contact info openly available, etc.  

I realize it's just my personal opinion here, but I don't consider people who crossbreed dogs and call them things like "maltipoo", "cocker doodle" or whatever trendy BS they're doing these days as "reputable". Animal shelters are full of mixed breed dogs already. Not to mention, what potential genetic issues and health problems are these poor designer dogs going to end up with?

17 minutes ago, Chris said:

I realize it's just my personal opinion here, but I don't consider people who crossbreed dogs and call them things like "maltipoo", "cocker doodle" or whatever trendy BS they're doing these days as "reputable". Animal shelters are full of mixed breed dogs already. Not to mention, what potential genetic issues and health problems are these poor designer dogs going to end up with?

I agree 110% on the cross-breeding BS...But it would seem that NYS politicians and bureaucrats are perfectly happy allowing (and licensing) them to breed and sell mutts under whatever "cool" name they want. And this legislations doesn't seem to discourage the practice at all. It just no longer allows pet stores to facilitate the transactions (for either crossbreeds or recognized purebreds).

My distinction of "reputable" was more along the lines of cleaner. more comfortable and socialized environments.....in contrast to the caged, unsanitary, inhumane conditions of the "mills".

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 1