TTL News

Lee Zeldin Attacked On Stage During Campaign Event

Representative Lee Zeldin, the Republican candidate for governor of New York, was attacked on Thursday at a campaign event outside Rochester by a man with a pointed weapon who dragged him to the ground before being subdued by several other men, according to officials and videos of the attack. Mr. Zeldin was not injured, a campaign representative said.

The videos show Mr. Zeldin, standing on the bed of a truck, addressing supporters gathered outside a V.F.W. hall in Fairport, N.Y., when a man approaches him slowly from the right, grabs him by the arm and brandishes a weapon. Mr. Zeldin responds by grabbing the man’s wrist and is then joined by several men in containing the attacker.

Mr. Zeldin said in a statement issued after the attack that he, his running mate, Alison Esposito, and members of his campaign staff were safe.

Read more here.

The suspect was arrested but later released on his own recognizance:

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.27.55 AM.png

27 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Released?  Wow.

I'd like to say I was surprised, but I'm not. You can attack a frickin' Congressman and be on the streets that day.