TTL News

These Muscle Cars Were Terrible... But They Sold Like Hotcakes

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 9.27.37 AM.png

The muscle car craze that started in the '60s ran through the American automobile industry like wildfire. Every automobile maker wanted to make muscle cars and the Detroit Three not only led the race but often added more fuel to the fire by going above and beyond the call of duty and making cars that seemed incomprehensible to most, except to those who loved the biggest engines in the barest of cars.

Such was the horsepower craze that everything sold in the name of muscle cars, be it good, bad, or even ugly. And it sold in droves. The realization that the car was in truth a lemon, came too late. And this did not happen with one car or from the cars of just one car marque. It happened across the board, and primarily with the Big Three. It also happened to the biggest of the nameplates.

So here go 10 muscle cars that were very popular buys back in the day but rather terrible cars to begin with.

See the list here, and let us know what YOU think the best or worst muscle car was. 

"They" call these muscle cars??!!! No way!!! Well the one above is ok, but most in the article are ugly, yes!!  Try late '60s/early '70s!!!  Like the Pontiac GTO, Firebird, Trans Am, Chevy Camaro, Chevy Corvette, Dodge Charger, mid '60s Ford Mustang like Ed's brother had had - they were some awesome cars!!  First car I bought as a senior in high school (in school half days, worked for a lawyer in afternoons plus babysat evenings) was a beautiful black '68 Chrysler Newport, from a neighbor, loved it, washed and waxed it every Sat! but it had some engine problems and, rather than wait for my Dad to get home as an OTR trucker (gone 2-4 wks at a time) to discuss what to do about it, I stupidly traded it in for a '68 Buick Skylark, the biggest lemon on 4wheels. My Dad wasn't happy with me but hey, it's how ya learn from your mistakes.

Edited by Linda Roorda
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack said:

Sorry but any Buick gets my heart pumping.

That’s how I feel when I see a ‘65 Mustang. Or about any old Ford pickup.

Never got into the Mustang, although the Mustangs on the Trans-Am circuit were always beautiful.

Them older trucks just have a mystique about them, don't they? 

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Them older trucks just have a mystique about them, don't they? 

They sure do!

I had a ‘76 F-150 with a wooden box the farmer I bought it from built. I think I paid him $500. Fuel gauge didn’t work and the floor panels were pretty spotty. But damn I loved that truck.

I’d love to get another.

Love old trucks as well. Growing up my dad had a 65 GMC stepside with 3 on the floor. I learned to drive stick in it. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 5:31 PM, Jack said:

Sorry but any Buick gets my heart pumping.

That's how my Dad felt for a bit - I remember his Buick Special and Roadmaster, both late '50s models back in the early to mid '60s.